Topic

Poncho Tarp Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho Tarp Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ensley
    Spectator

@palooka

Locale: Indiana

I am new to poncho tarping, and tarping in general. I got a GoLite poncho tarp during a sale last year, and decided to set it up in the back yard today.

Here's a picture of my pitch:

Poncho tarp 1

I thought it looked okay, but when it started to rain, the hood area started to sag in, and water started to accumulate there. I got sort of an inverted ridge line:

Poncho Tarp hood sagging

Then, it started to hail (unexpectedly) and the issue got even worse:

Poncho Tarp ridge line after hail

Additional information:
    Tie outs are Oware 2mm Dacron cord. Poles are 32" Easton Aluminum. Stakes are Lawson's Ti shepherd's hooks. Poncho has not yet been seam sealed.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get a tighter ridge line and keep the hood area from becoming a lake?

I have seen people tie the hood off to a branch or pole, but I would rather avoid this option if possible.

Keith Craigs

@keithcraigs

GIS for Golite poncho tarp, you can see that this tarp is not meant for ridge line setup.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The side and corner guys are way too long. The rear guy looks too short.

Also, nylon stretches. So about an hour after you set it up, you should re-adjust all the guys. Get the ridgeline really taunt, the material can handle it.

Don't set your trekking poles too high in the rain, this lets you use short guys for all the side and corner points.

DSC00659
    This is a MLD nylon Pro Poncho/Tarp. This is the initial set-up. The left bottom guy needs to be re-positioned.

DSC00609
    This is an older model GoLite. Notice how taunt it still is after a windy night with a few sprinkles.

Keep practicing :)

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

You need to tie out the hood part so it doesn't sag.

Here is another pitch option.

Golite Poncho Tarp, favorite pitch

Same pitch different angle

Michael Trefzger
    BPL Member

@michaeltrefzger

Locale: So Cal

Hi Paul,
    I had issues getting a good pitch on my poncho tarp when I first started using one too.
    This video by Steve Evens helped me out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrapf_8WFM

Cheers,
    -m

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools