I am looking into the possibility of making a tee-pee like interior or exterior structure for the Golite hex-3 instead of buying a 4 season tent. This will be for a trip in Feb 2013 where we will be traveling on river ice while pulling a pulk.
My thoughts so far:
1. The weight must be kept to less than 6 lbs – or I might as well just buy a used 4 season tent. (Although I don't relish spending $500 – $700 for another one use item)
2. It must be fast and easy to set up. (Gloves on and wind friendly)
I envision a star shaped receiver at the top where the six poles will attach. It can be of tubular webbing or a solid block of light weight material. It will need to be designed to hold the correct angle. I was also thinking of an attached webbing area along the bottom that sets the angle and distance between the poles and also provides strength and east of setup. It will need clips/buckles to attach the skin (hex-3) and the strap must ne removable only in the door section once the stakes are set. I also see that a snow flap could be sewn to the strap if staking is not an option. I may have to add mid-panel tabs to the hex-3 for additional guy out during wind storms
3. Eliminate the center pole to maximize interior space. Need enough room for me and my pulk.
4. Limit any permanent changes to the Hex-3 to preserve its function for 3 season use.
5. I have some sewing skills and little metal working skills โ but I love to tinker.
I donโt want to re-invent the wheel and nothing has turned up in my searches. I welcome any help or ideas.
Thanks,
Dave





