Topic

Rubbermaid FilterFresh bottle + Nalgene

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rubbermaid FilterFresh bottle + Nalgene

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I picked up a Rubbermaid FilterFresh water bottle and filter today for $7. The bottle only holds 20 oz, but is widemouth and will work with a Steripen. The filter fits under the cap like other bottle filters, but has an incredibly high flow rate (because it is NOT meant to filter microbes, but the packaging says it will remove chlorine).

It also will fit on a Nalgene bottle. The threads are ever so slightly different, but I screwed it onto a Nalgene Canteen and gave it a good squeeze. No leaks. The odd part is that the Nalgene cap won't fit on the Rubbermaid bottle.

Wet, the filter element itself weighs 1.75 ounces. The cap is a little beefier than the Nalgene cap, so together the cap and filter weigh 2.6 ounces. To offset that weight, if you wish, is to fill your bottle up, then take a nice big swig of water.

This would make it stupid simple to scoop water into your bottle, zap it with a Steripen, and have 100% floatie-free water almost instantly without any hassle. Note: it doesn't work too well on really rigid bottles like the hard-side Nalgene because of the vacuum effect. Water cannot be displaced by air inside the bottle.

retut
    ehset

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091951

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Looks very interesting. I currently use this flexible Nalgene bottle with a stainless steel mesh tea strainer cap to scoop up water which I then treat with my Steripen. Do you think the Rubbermaid cap and filter would fit on it? Can you provide the Rubbermaid TOTAL weight with cap and filter? Thanks, John -Where did you get yours-good price.
    https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/nalgene_flexible_63_ounce_canteen_orwm08.html

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

John,
    TOTAL *wet* weight of cap and filter is 2.6 ounces. (I think every filter weight should be listed when wet since they don't dry in the field!)

It should fit on your Nalgene since all Nalgene wide-mouth containers share the same threads.

I got it at my local grocery store.

It's a little heavier than a bandana or other strainer, but for those who want super easy water, this may be worth a look. It's supposed to last around 45 gallons. I'm going to give it a shot this spring and see if the weight is worth the simplicity. I figured for $7, its worth a try.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools