Topic

Q: ‘Advanced Tarp Camping’ article

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Q: ‘Advanced Tarp Camping’ article

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

So I’m finally getting around to setting up my tarp guylines according to the suggestions in Advanced Tarp Techniques for Inclement Conditions. A few questions tho: When running a single side guyline through all the side guyloops, has anyone else had problems keeping the tarp guyloops from sliding along the guyline? This is especially pronounced when trying to pitch the tarp low to the ground, since the angles in the guylines are less acute. A good wind can make a taut pitch a bit flappy this way.

I thought of tying figure 8 knots in the line, at each guyloop, but that kind of ruins the ability to pitch the tarp at varying heights.

FYI I’m using an Oware Cat 1.1 tarp, which has 3 guyloops per side. I’m trying to get this right w/ twine before chopping up my $20 guyline set. Yes, I have the cams too, but probably will only use them on ridgelines, or possibly also with one on the head-end of each long side guyline, so they can be adjusted from under the tarp (again, multiple figure8 knots prohibits this).

Wow–sorry so long winded, tough to describe. Any thoughts?

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have only used the single length of guyline when pitching my Oware 2.5 tarp for maximum height. I too had difficulty trying this at lower heights. In higher wind conditions I do one of three things:

1. Using a 16 inch piece of spectra line with figure-8 loops on both ends, I girth hitch the line to the guyloop and stake down using the figure-8 loop at the other end.

2. I pass the same 16 inch piece through the guy loop as shown in the article on Spectra Rope and stake through both figure-8 loops.

3. Stake down the tarp directly through the guyloop.

I guess you could also use a clove hitch to adjust lengths between steps 1 and 2

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

Hi Mike, thanks for replying. I’ll have to try this. I can see the benefits: While it stops the tarp’s tieouts from sliding, in a way similar to tying loops along a single long cord, smaller sections of cord would also allow you to use each one as a single (longer) guyline, so that you can still pitch the tarp higher if desired. Nice.

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

oops, I think I misread you. In #2 you’re threading each guyline thru a tie-out loop, then staking the ends of the same guyline with the ~same~ stake? (exactly like the spectra pic?) In my reply, I thought that the ends of each guyline section shared a stake with the next guyline section over — so that it would look like Ryan’s setup (4 stakes for 3 tarp tie outs) but made of 3 shorter sections instead of one long one. Both would work, just that the latter achieves ‘more tension panels’, etc. Will fiddle w/ both for awhile. Staking directly thru tieouts may still be the best alternative for very high winds. Anyway thanks again!

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Hi Jason,
    Yes, I use one 16 inch section doubled over per guyloop exactly like in the picture linked above. I guess if you girth hitch a number of the 16 inch pieces for one continuous length, that would prevent slippage just because of the resistance going over each hitch.

I also see what you are saying, by having two of the 16 inch sections on each tie loop and sharing a single stake in the middle of two tie loops, and of course going out 45 degree from each corner as well. I will have to try that!

I truly believe the one length piece staked out 6 times (or one more than the number of guyloops) is only good for ideal, i.e. low wind conditions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools