Topic

UL perfection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL perfection?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

Greetings.

I just spent the last 4 nights underneath a 5×8.5 poncho tarp. it rained last night, snowed lightly night before, and was dry the first two nights. I really like this poncho thing, but i just cant get around the bug issue. i'm pretty chill when it comes to insects but arachnids wig me out, and god forbid i camp in skeetsville should i end up in the enchantment lskes this summer.

i like the zpacks hexamid solo, the netting design is sweet, but my poncho is multi-purpose and almost 2oz lighter. i cant sacrifice a multi-use shelter.

So i ask for input and thoughts on this idea, which i'm almost certain i'll carry out; whit if a poncho had the mesh of a hexamid? it could velcro or pin up to the shoulder ridge of the poncho underside when worn, and it could have a 18-24" velcro opening where the wearer puts their head through the hood. it woud be big enough to pitch the tarp as high as the hex, and would have to accomodate pyramid, a-frame, diamond and half-pyramid pitches. i'll begin next week, i think this can be done and be functional.

HEX.....
    Room for mesh?

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

What about add a thin strip of velcro and then do the same to a perimeter size length of bug mesh. When you stop, take off poncho, attach velcro bug mesh.

Nick E.

@traletrasch

good idea. Im thinking contrail-status with the velcro, sticky side on the netting. Install a slot-entry zipper or Ddoor?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

With a poncho/tarp of that size, I suggest you should be using a bivy anyway. So… problem solved.

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Bivies are so borrring though… I need the option to pitch midday for lunch in skeet season.

picture my poncho with 3ft. detachable beak?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I will tell you from experience that a tarp of that size is going to get you wet in some conditions without a bivy. If you want to go without a bivy, you need a tarp in the range of 8' X 10'. Believe me, I have done this a lot.

I only use a tarp mid-day in hot desert summer weather for shade, when I need to get out of the "heat of the day" for a few hours. Good nylon clothing and a bug net will give you plenty of protection from mosquitoes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools