Topic

Balaclava ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Balaclava ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

Q – does anybody anywhere make/sell a balaclava that covers the nose correctly, does not ice/fog slather glasses, and is not like wearing a slab of carpet on your face ?
    is this too much to ask ? and can it be done ?

cheers,
    v.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Can it be done? Yes.

I haven't seen them in years, but there used to be a silk balaclava on the market. I used one for X-C skiing, mostly to keep sun off. The only face opening was around the eyes. The material was so thin that I could breathe through it. There was a little natural stretch, but no stretchy fibers in the material.

–B.G.–

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

An alternative is a lightweight fleece beanie plus 2/3 buff for bottom (as in cut 1/3 of buff off).

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

I have an OR Ninjaclava on the way. I'll post a comment somewhere about breathability once I have it.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

My OR ninjaclava has just arrived. The material and fit are very nice. I can easily breathe with the mask covering my mouth and nose, but when I try wearing glasses they do fog.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I've had pretty good luck with these:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wickers-balaclava-moisture-wicking-midweight-for-men-and-women~p~56028/?filterString=mens-earbands-balaclavas-and-neck-gaiters~d~280%2F&colorFamily=27

And similar lightwieght balaclavas – they are all basically lightweight long underwear fabric. I always have one in the pack. Not perfect, but very versatile.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools