Topic

PossumDown Gloves (the warmest wool liners)…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PossumDown Gloves (the warmest wool liners)…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

EDIT March 28, 2012:
    NOW IN STOCK: Original PossumDown Gloves

$29.95 / pair + $2.45 Shipping (3.95 for 2 pairs). Total = $32.40. Tax only for California residents.

(For price comparison BPL sold theirs to Members for $30.80 + 5.95 Shipping. Nearest current price for this item is $28 + 8 Shipping + Tax from Cameleer.)

Beginning stock is: S — 5, M — 10, L — 10, XL — 5

Ultralight backpacking gloves for sale.

ORIGINAL POST:
    For our ultralight gear web shop, we're considering importing a batch of the black PossumDown gloves from New Zealand that used to be avail here on BPL, but are no longer.

These gloves, made with 40% Possum fur have the highest loft and warmth to weight ratio of any known glove liners. My pair is dying and the one US source that sells them has a $38 price tag shipped + tax.

Ours would go for $29.95 + approx $2.45 in shipping (+ tax only for CA residents).

To get an idea of interest, how many of you would want a pair or pairs (good to keep a spare on hand)?

So leave your comment below and your size. They can be shrunk as desired, so I order mine one size too big, shrink 'em and they end up a bit thicker.

Cheers,
    Jhaura
    LiteTrail.com

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Personally I'd go for light synthetic fleece gloves. Possum Down gloves are notoriously easy to wear out – say while XC skiing or walking with hiking poles. Fleece, on the other hand is relatively durable.

AND… synthetic fleece will dry much faster than the wool in Possum Dowm gloves.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

fleece might dry faster, but the possum stuff is quite amazing. I even wear my gloces in rain and they keep me warm. and the possum down doesn't need that long to dry out either.

I haven't needed my gloves that often, so my 2 year old pair is still looking good.

But they won't last as long as any fleece ones.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Eric and WL
    I agree with both of you…
    They are not all that abrasion resistant however for the weight they are indeed very warm and in my experience also work well when wet (so does the hat BTW…)
    I almost always have them with me and yes they are a liner under my Gore-Tex (!) mitts in winter.
    Only problem for me is that I try to avoid using them by themselves when walking because I use trekking poles.
    Love them to death…
    Franco
    Trivia
    When I purchased mine (from BPL) ,possum down stuff was not available in Australia.
    Here, possums are protected but in NZ they are a pest.
    Just like Australians, come to think of it…

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yes. I have been looking for a backup pair.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

I would also pick up a pair as backups. Would also be able to convince a few friends to buy as well most likely.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

These might be a little heavy for most UL'ers but these are the gloves I am no using. The flap that goes over the fingers is water/wind resistant and stores in the top of the glove when not needed. And the thumb folds back also.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Adapt-Glove/280156977%2e025,default,pd.html?start=16&cgid=access-gloves

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I might be interested in another pair of gloves but I would definitely be interested in a pair f possum down socks.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

The Possum Down ones won't melt like fleece when picking up hot objects, either.

M

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

I'd be interested if they made mittens…
    After years of wearing gloves, I'm done with them.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

the socks are brilliant, only use them for sleeping though

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

Size medium

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Rick,

I am not seeing a pair comparable to the old BPL version on that site. Maybe I am missing something?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Jace,
    Look here:
    http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/cp/Gloves_Merinomink

I just picked up a pair for $20.00 shipped. Great deal!

M

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

From what I can tell, the ones from EcoWool and ShopNewZealand ARE NOT the same as the ones I am sourcing (the furrier ones once sold here on BPL).

For those who ordered from the two sources above, please confirm upon receipt if they are indeed the same ones with a close up picture.

There are a couple of manufacturers of the gloves, but only one, that I know of, actually makes them in a high loft style. This is the only style that is of any interest to myself because if it is normal loft style wool construction, there are better cheaper gloves state side.

Cheers.

After thought…

Further evidence that the two sources listed above are NOT the original BPL source: The source of the BPL ones does not even manufacture a mitten and the EcoWool site lists a mitten for sale. To me, this indicates that they are from a different manufacturer and not the same. Doesn't mean they aren't equivalent or as good, we'll just have to see a close up picture of construction to determine that.

EcoWool Mittens:
    http://www.ecowool.com/possum-fur-products/possum-fur-clothing/possum-fur-hats-socks-gloves-and-scarves/possum-merino-mittens-2634.html

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

I know for me personally, for $20.00 shipped i can't go wrong on possum and merino wool gloves, even though they might not be as "lofty" as the old BPL ones. I'm positive they will work as liner gloves in my BPL Vapor mitts at a fraction of the price of my old ones. YMMV.

M

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have ordered a pair from the Matthew Perry link , so I will compare them with the original BPL type when I get them.
    Note that they are a close-out with limited sizes available.
    The sizes also look a bit odd to me…
    ( I just wanted a red pair…)
    Franco

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

This link looks to be the same as the BPL gloves. It at least has the same 50/40/10 blend.

http://www.thecameleer.com/possumdown/possumdown-gloves-c-66.html

They also have what appears to be the same beanie and a multitude of socks (though not the same as BPL's, some seem to have better blends for actual hiking use instead of just sleepwear).

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Yes Dustin, the thecameleer.com are the same. However it's $28 + $8 shipping = $36 (plus tax for VA). As opposed to $32.40 that I can get them for…I think $8 shipping is a little high for a 2oz glove.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Jhaura,
    By the way, i'm glad you are sourcing the original BPL possum down gloves. It's nice to have options. Thanks for not gouging us on the price, too. If my cheapo ones don't work out, i will definitely be ordering a new pair from you.

M

Elisabeth Chaplin Philabaum
    BPL Member

@elisabitch-2

Specifically, I would love a pair of the convertible style, where they can fold back to reveal your fingertips. I ordered a pair from NZ, which were so so difficult to find at the time, and I carried them on my thru hike last summer. Yes, they definitely wore out — my pair is patched with old socks and dental floss, but I still am wearing them on my morning walks. I didn't expect them to last forever, but I really have a tough time finding the convertible mitten style in any glove of my liking, so I am happy to replace them when need be — assuming there's a source.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

To the original poster, there are are no possum down gloves available on the site listed.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

@Bruce, the post mentioned that we were checking interest levels for a bulk order from New Zealand. I'm happy to report that it looks like the demand is good. We've been preparing a new ecommerce site, and should have the gloves next month. I'll post here when they are in…

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

T H E Y ' R E   H E R E !

Grab 'em while they're avail:
    PossumDown Gloves for sale

$29.95 / pair + $2.45 Shipping (3.95 for 2 pairs). Total = $32.40. Tax only for California residents.

(For price comparison BPL sold theirs to Members for $30.80 + 5.95 Shipping. Nearest current price for this item is $28 + 8 Shipping + Tax from Cameleer.)

Beginning stock is:

S — 5
    M — 10
    L — 10
    XL — 5

Cheers,

Jhaura

Ultralight backpacking gloves for sale.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools