Topic

LED replacement bulbs for regular flashlights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals LED replacement bulbs for regular flashlights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

LED PR style bulbs (the ones with the flange, not the screw-in kinds) have been around for a while but were expensive, over $20 each for really bright ones. Recently I found inexpensive bulbs for 2-cell and 3-6 cell flashlights that have reasonable luminosity for less than $5 each from Dorcy (#41-1643 and #41-1644). Search the web to get the current best price, they are carried in lots of places.

I bought a bunch of them and put them into every flashlight I have, even the big, heavy ones. They use about 1/4 the power of equivalent incandescent bulbs (PR-2, PR-4, etc) and have a 10,000 lifetime. They also run at full brightness even if the batteries are getting low (a disadvantage if you fail to check your batteries!).

With them I've turned some old, obsolete lightweight incandescent flashlights into perfectly serviceable LED ones.

Actually I normally carry two Photon Freedoms (one white, one red or another night-vision compatible color), but once in a while I want something more powerful.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Nice find. I have an older technology version and it gives light forever in a 2D flashlight. This Dorcy version should last longer than 100 hours in a 2D flashlight, making it great for emergencies (hurricane, ice storm, etc.)
    Doing a bit of searching:
    the 2 cell (3V) model draws 70 to 90 milliamps.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288283-Dorcy-LED-Drop-in
    In a 2xAA flashight it should last at least a full day.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

neat find, thanks!

do they make these in other LED colors as well?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've only seen one color. Other manufacturers make different colors but they seem to be more expensive. About the only other color I'd be interested in is some sort of night-vision compatible colors, but see night vision colors and myths for an interesting analysis.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

awesome link!
    thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools