Topic

2012 Itineraries are Posted!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont 2012 Itineraries are Posted!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas
    Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

Thanks for the heads up! My son is already studying them and getting ready to do some influence peddling to push his preferences. I'm purposely staying out of the decision as this is the boys trek; I'm just along for the ride.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

And as soon as they were posted they are gone….. Looks like Philmont has removed the Treks from their website…. but alas…. where there is a will there is a way!!

For itinerary detailed descriptions use this link:
    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/…erary/2012itin_1.png
    Change the last number to the desired itinerary number (1-35)

For maps of the itineraries use this link:
    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/…ry/Map/2012map_1.png
    Same thing just change the last number before .png to the desired trek.

Now if I could figure out how to post the PDF of the 'Programs by Itinerary' sheet….. PM me and I can email it to you..

Oh the excitement grows!!!!!
    107 Days!!
    Sarah

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Hmmm… I wonder why the pulled them? The numbers definitely changed wholesale from last year. For example, last year's itinerary #5 has moved to #13 for 2012. I wonder if what we saw yesterday isn't final???

I did download all the ones yesterday and have already picked my top 3 ;-)
    I really hope they don't change.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Per Philmont – the website is being prepped for Mid-March release of Treks. Treks 'could' change.

Do I think they will change…. not really, we are too late in the game to make too many major changes over what we have already seen. I plan to have my crew make selections off of the early released treks vs working off of the 2011 treks like we had been doing. I think the early released treks are more likely to be close or exactly the same as what will finally post.

And the excitement grows…… I'd love the guys to pick one of the treks that head off into Ted Turner's land!!

Sarah

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

From Fran Romero:

This was a trial posting and they will not officially post till mid March. This website is being prepped to get all the necessary files ready for the official posting.

Thank You,

Fran Romero

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

So, were going in 2013 and have some time for the boys to decide on the itinerary, but never having been myself, I'd like to have some solid advice for the boys as they winnow down the choices. We'd like for them to do more activities than long hikes since the median age will be 15 and for them to experience things that they can't do in the east coast. I've gleaned from past discussions on the forum that kids have enjoyed the Sawmill (.308 shooting), Clear Creek (tomahawk throwing), Black Mtn. (black powder & black smithing) and camping at places like Crater Lake, Wild Horse meadow, and Mt. Phillips. What are the differences between the Northern, Central and Southern areas? There are so many choices… How do you begin to narrow down the possibilities? All help welcomed. Thanks!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

You should realize that the standard "itineraries" dont have to be YOUR "itinerary", You are limited to where you camp, but you can make your own as far as the activities go.

If you can hike to it, you can do it.

In some cases you may pass near an activity your boys want to do instead of one on an intinerary. Or you may be several miles from it and want to hike to it to do it. You are not limited by your itinerary you select.

Even going 2 miles out of your way only takes 40 min. if they are carrying decently light packs. Not a big deal. Finish trek to camp after doing activity.

Makes it even harder to select an itinerary, but if you take the time to think it thru, you can have a better trip .

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

Martin – Thanks for the information. That does make it much harder to choose! I think the best course of action would be to ask the boys what activities they want to do and see if an itinerary matches closely or try to create our own based on their choices. I may put this post out to the group for some opinions (I don't know if everyone would see it buried under this itinerary thread).

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Ditto what Martin said. IN 2007 we were camped at Bear Caves and took an evening hike to Crater Lake for terrific entertainment provided by the staff. I THINK that was not just a 2007 thing but am not sure. In 2010 we took not one but two side trips from Ute Meadows to French Henry for blacksmithing and the mine tour (one of the side trips was part of out day over Baldy and we also needed to get back though Baldy Town for resupply and did not have time to do both activities that day). That resulted in a couple long days but these were all choices of our youth.

From my limited experience (2 trips) I'd categorize the north as generally lower elevation (although Baldy is in the north) and central as generally higher overall elevations (includes Phillips). Haven't been in the south. The north country also provides options to travel the Valle Vidal … interesting country, all camps are staffed, in 2010 at least the quality of programs was mixed … some very good, some not so. Also, the Valle offers some interesting navigation exercises.

I would suggest:
    1) setting lower and upper difficulty limits based on what you know about the crew, try hard to avoid too easy and definitely avoid too strenuous.
    2) find out what you can about the specific activities (ask here and ask other scouters who have been there) and provide that info to your scouts
    3) have them write down which activities interest them (without discussion) … also ask them to rank their choices … tally the results
    4) have them start choosing itineraries based on that.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South
    ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

And they appear to be the same as the earlier "trial" posting …

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools