Topic

Dehydrated chicken pot pie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated chicken pot pie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The recipes is see for chicken pot pie call for milk.

If I cook some up (without the chicken or crust) should I include the milk? Or add dehydrated milk to the mix after I dry it? Will the recipe cook the same without the milk?

I plan to put the rehydrated mix over instant mashed potatoes or Bisquik biscuits and add foil wrapped chicken.

Might be a dumb question but I only cook burritos so I don't know. Although I did make a pretty good chocolate mousse one Christmas eve (after 3 tries).

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Here's a recipe without milk, problem solved!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-pot-pie-ii-2/

But to truly answer your question, there's no reason you can't cook the milk in the recipe then dehydrate. After all, powdered milk is nothing more than dehydrated milk. :)

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

You should experiment and post your results here as it sounds like a good recipe. I would go with adding the skim milk powder personally. Skim milk powder is made by using a spray-dry process, and I don't think you would easily achieve the same results with a normal rack/oven dehydrator.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I would try adding nestle Nido to whatever recipe you decide on. It's available at hispanic/mexican grocery stores. It is super rich- I put a tablespoon or two in any recipe that could use a little creaminess. Even at home I think it tastes good, which means that on the trail it's awesome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools