Topic

First MYOG Quilt… maybe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG Quilt… maybe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

After 3 seasons of near sleepless nights in my Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 I need try something different. Im a restless/side sleeper and a mummy bag just doesnt give me the room I need to move around during the night. Im considering an MYOG quilt because it would be less restrictive but am concerned about drafts. Are there any side sleepers here that are content with quilts?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I sleep on my side and have to turn pretty constantly or I will be stiff and sore in the morning, even on a comfy bed.

I think quilts can work for this type of sleeper plenty well. I make my quilts just a bit wider, about 50" at the widest point, to help work with this. I have also found that actually using the little straps under it. If it is warmer out, I don't worry about this, but as I push the limits of my quilt more, I will put them on and it helps a good bit. Especially using one around my hips area.

The guide I wrote for my quilt has these features, and they work very well for me.

http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/sin50/

I think that giving a quilt a try would be a good decision if you are unhappy with mummy bags.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Similar situation, purchased Rayway kit and have been extremely happy. Made more quilts since then, once I understood how to go about it I came up with my own designs. Actually the Rayway kits don't cost much more than the materials if you get the good stuff. You can't go wrong with Jardine's kits, they come with excellent instructions.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass
    Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Chris, Ive linked to your site from several threads here on the BPL forums, great info and instructions. Glad to hear of others having success with quilts. I think it will be a better option for me. Not being able to sleep after a long day on trail is very frustrating. I altered my first pack within 24 hours of its maiden voyage and have since mastered the art of the basic stuff sack. A synthetic quilt seems like a good next step.

Elliot, Im familiar with Rays website and have heard good things about his kits. I havent decided yet which direction Im going to take, but I have Rays site bookmarked. While doing research I was surprised to see so many twists on what I thought would be a simple quilt. All the ideas Ive seen have me excited to get started. Really looking forward to getting a good nights sleep on the trail.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Thanks Adie, that was a great article, packed with information. I certainly feel more confident that a quilt will work for me. I guess the next step is choosing a pattern and materials.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I used the thru-hiker kit for my first quilt and now just make my own version of a wearable quilt. I am a side sleeper and have found that they work well by using two elastic straps on the bottom. I make them 56" wide at the top and taper to 40" at the foot end. I was actually overheating recently using a 16 oz quilt rated at 30 degrees. They really work (in my opinion/experience). Have fun!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools