Topic

Insulated Windshirt, ~10 oz ~$80

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insulated Windshirt, ~10 oz ~$80

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Backcountry.com has the Stoic Wraith Shell for $27.60. This is a really good deal. I had an idea…. Take two of these windshirts (the same size) and create a simple and cheap insulated jacket by sandwiching some thru-hiker 2.5oz Apex between the two, throw in some yarn loops to hold the insulation in place and then hand sew the edges together. Yes, the insulation will get slightly compressed where the two pieces are joined together, aside from that I can't think of any other issues. What do you think, is this doable?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Doable, why not?

I wouldn't get the same same size, though. Make the inner layer "your" size and size up the outer to avoid compression.

christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I thought about that but was concerned about two things, one was the length differences (sleeve etc), and the other was the sizing. For me I think a Large would fit, and still have enough space to compensate for the additional insulation without compressing it.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

If the Large is "a little too big" for you then it should work.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

The avatars of the two participants in this thread are crazy similar.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

+1 on if it is just a bit big. If you are really pushing out against the fabric of the large when you wear it normally, then you will compress the insulation. But if it is even just a little baggy on you, the insulation should be fine.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Also, do you have access to a sewing machine? Is that why you plan to hand sew it?

If you have access to a sewing machine, I don't see why you can't just sew the insulation to one of the jackets are the edges (so the neck and waist for the torso pieces and the cuffs for the shoulders) for most of the places. Then places where the insulation comes in contact, like on the sides of the torso and at the shoulder, you should be able to hand sew the insulation pieces together with light looping stitches, overlapping the insulation just a bit, and avoid any real cold spots.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools