Topic

Reinforced corners flysheet.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reinforced corners flysheet.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Hello,

Thanks everybody for replying to my questions.

Since I will alter the shape of a flsheet that I have, I want to reinorce some corners.
    The material is ripstop, so I wonder, What is a good way to reinforce ripstop at those places where the straps are connected.

I thought about sewing a triangular form on the area, then sew the whole area.
    But do I have to use the same material ( as the flysheet )for this triangle?

Thanks

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My favorite fabric for reinforcements is adhesive backed insignia cloth.

If you google it you will find it at kite and banner shops.

I've purchsed mine at Kitebuilder.com in the past but their order backlog is long due to illness and a death in the family.

The adhesive allows you to "tape" the material on and achieve a nice tight bond between it and your parent fabric. You can then sew it to make sure it doesn't come off over time.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used to reinforce the corners (on silnylon 1.1 oz/yd2 nylon) but then I quit doing it and haven't had any failures.

Just sew in the hem where the fabric is doubled over, or in a seam where the fabric is doubled over.

If you do reinforcement, if your flysheet is nylon, you should use nylon reinforcement so it stretches the same.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools