Topic

Caldera Cone Inferno query

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Cone Inferno query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

Just wondering what different methods people use to deal with the soot on all the caldera parts when using the inferno i.e. wood burning mode? I don't consider myself overly clean when hiking (just enough to avoid being a health hazard really), but that black soot gets on your fingers etc and then onto everything else you touch.

Seems to me that you just get yourself and some gear dirty, use grass or similar if available (not very leave no trace) or carry something extra to clean it every time.

I've tried to consider the options and the best I can think of is to carry some extra toilet paper and a ziploc bag, wipe down with the TP and then keep it in the ziploc to use when starting the next fire.
    Would welcome any better ideas or endorsements of that one.

Cheers
    Jacko

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

A Ziploc is light, effective, and cheap. Aside from a dedicated bandana I know of no better option (although a Tyvek envelope is more durable….hmm…).

The bandana won't require extra TP.

Todd

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

To be perfectly honest I usually don't bother cleaning it. It usually doesn't leave too much soot. If I were to clean it though I've just grabbed a handful of dry leaves and it usually wipes off pretty easily maybe add some water and a little dirt as an abrasive. Works great!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

What exactly is the purpose of the inferno insert? won't it work fine without it?

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

Yes it works fine without it. The inferno add-on makes it burn cleaner by creating a sort of double wall effect preheating the air that's fueling the fire. In my case I use the inferno add-on but not all the parts of it, so it's just as light if not lighter than the regular ti-tri with floor plate (not lighter with no floor plate).

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

When I take apart or set up a Caldera Cone that's been used in wood burning mode, I typically do get my hands a bit dirty. I bring a bandana or a little ziploc of baby wipes.

For transport, I keep all the components for the Caldera Cone I've used stored in a 1.3L Evernew pot, and I keep the pot in a stuff sack.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I handle my Sidewinder & Inferno insert just the same way porcupines mate – CAREFULLY.

I try to wipe the parts down as much as possible before storing them in their Tyvek sleeves. The pot bottom also gets wiped off on grass or rinsed and wiped with my fingers. Using ESBIT also makes teh Sidewinder and pot bottom sooty.

I always have to wash my hands after packing the Sidewinder. But it's no big deal considering the light weight and efficiency of the Sidewinder.

The Inferno wood burning insert makes the Sidewinder cone a GASSFIER wood stove, ala the BushBuddy and it therefore burns very efficiently. Gassifier wood stoves burn much more of the gasses given off in combustion due to their secondary downdraft design from the double wall construction.

BTW, Jacko, using a little TP to wipe the Sidewinder down and as tinder later is a good idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools