Topic

Which Alcohol stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which Alcohol stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zach Verhey

@overshot

I have been a long time proponent of Esbit, but am going to try alcohol. With the plethora of stove designs out there what works well for you? I have tried a "catstove" a simple catfood can with several 1/4" holes around the top. I have also tried the Etowah stove and it was moderately lame in my opinion. The burner didn't seem to have the surface area for adequate heat output. I am looking to use this in the winter but am willing to work with the limitations of alcohol. Any input here?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What kind of alcohol stove are you using now? I tried stand alone stoves, but in the end found that a Caldera Cone with Esbit/alcohol capabilities was pretty darn efficient and convenient.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Either you start with a known cook pot and then work your way out to what kind of burner will work properly, or else you start with a known burner and then work your way out to what kind of cook pot will work properly. Not all cook pots work with all burners.

–B.G.–

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 to Bob's comment.

Think about what your main pot is/will be and match the alcohol stove to match.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some of that matching is just for diameter, and some of it is for overall heating capacity.

In general, for a narrow cook pot you need a narrow flame pattern. For a broad cook pot, you can probably use a broad flame pattern. If you have a cook pot with a volume of only 600ml, then maybe you want some burner that is small. If the cook pot is 1.5L, then maybe you want a big burner.

If I am only boiling water in a 600ml pot, then often I will take only Esbit. If I am trying to cook something carefully in a big pot, then I take a 12-10 burner with a simmer adjustment on it.

–B.G.–

Zach Verhey

@overshot

I have always used esbit for my stove for most all of my 4K miles. I am just now experimenting with alcohol stoves. We use an Evernew Ti pot, I think about 1 liter, and I use a smaller MSR ti for solo trips. For cooking, we usually just boil, and use a cozy to let our meals cook, so no simmering is really necessary. I may get a larger pot at some point as this is very tight cooking for my wife and I. Much appreciated info here!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools