Topic

MLD Exodus FS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Exodus FS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Toby Salz
    Spectator

@tobysalz

any recent experience with this backpack? i've searched and seen some preliminary reviews. any follow-up? any problems with the inflatable back panel? anyone using the panel as sitting pad or sleep pad? how much weight have you carried comfortably? have you used a bear canister with it? what don't you like about it?

this pack looks promising for an upcoming 10 day trip where a bear canister is required. any other thoughts on similar bags? ULA circuit/catalyst, zpacks exo etc etc…thanks.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Toby,

I have one but I won't be on a multi day trip until the end of March. I have taken it out for hikes the last four or five weeks on day/conditioning hikes and I am more than happy with it. No problems with the inflatable back panel. I don't plan on using it as a sleep pad since I don't think that it would be big enough for that. I am going to use it as a pillow though. I have comfortably carried 25 pounds with it and it feels like I could add a few more and still be comfortable. I wish that I could help out with the other question about a bear canister but I don't hike where one is required. The only thing that I would change about it would be to add extra 3D mesh to the top of the backpanel. I really like the pack. I bought it based on reviews of the MLD Exodus and I am glad that I did. I assumed that it was an Exodus with extra frame that could carrry more weight comfortably and i was right for once :) It also fits me well at 5'11" and 175. Hope this helps

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I'l echo what Heath has said, I received mine last weekend but won't have a chance to get out with it until late April. I'm VERY impressed by the quality and workmanship of this pack, it's as good or better than any commercial-grade pack, and from my experience that's not true of some cottage industry sewing.

My BV450 fits inside just fine, though I don't plan to carry that anytime soon here in MN, my Ursack is fine and a lot lighter, but to answer your question, I'm sure a BV500 would also fit inside – though it wouldn't leave a lot of room for your other gear. I can strap the BV450 on top with the single strap Ron uses, so again I assume a BV500 would work that way as well.

I'm not planning on using the inflatable pad for anything other than the pack's suspension. I've taken it out and deflated and inflated, sat and stood on it, seems every bit as strong as my Exped UL7 or Neoair, so no worries from me on durability.

I've walked around the house with 20 lbs in the pack and it was like nothing was there, I'm sure it can carry 35+ but I'll likely never exceed 20, but I did want the option of carrying more as I backpack with my kids as well. Let me know if you want any up close pics of anything on the pack. I HIGHLY recommend this pack based on its quality and design, but I can't yet comment on carrying it on a real hike.

Art

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools