Topic

MYOG Cuben Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Cuben Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

I just made a backpack made out of 1.43 oz/yd2 blue cuben. It is probably a good size for an overnight to 10 day trip if you strap things on the outside. I think I made the compression system well as it compresses very nicely as you can see in the photo. I have one small-ish pocket on the back and a bungee system to put a jacket in that I want to get at quickly. The hip pockets are HUGE, they fit 2 nalgene bottles (used for size, I don't actually use them practically ever) easily in each pocket. I opted not to use a padded hipbelt with the weighs I expect to use with this type of pack. It weighs in at 5.3 oz in the configuration in the pictures. All the drawstring channels are open so that I can replace the cords later if they get stretched out. Everything was heavily re-enforced with the new zpacks cuben fiber tape (cuben on one side, bonding tape exposed on other side) and it worked great. I based the pack lightly on the Mountain Ultralight blog post "Make Your Own Cuben Fiber Backpack" (http://www.mountainultralight.com/2011/09/make-your-own-cuben-fiber-backpack.html) but changed the pattern a lot as well as the size and other things. This was my first backpack.

PICS:<packimg src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1330112024_58175.jpg" alt="pack" width="550" height="733">packpackpackpackpack

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Looks great Conner! Especially for your first backpack. Those side pockets look awesome with all that room

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice

Looks like all the seams were sewn

No tape or glue

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

I taped the edges of seams and taped over all the seams that were going to be stressed more than a little to keep the threads from moving the cuben. It is *very* heavily re-enforced in the shoulder straps (2 layers of .51 cuben tape and 3 layers (incl. shoulder straps themselves) of 1.43 cuben. I am confident the pack will be very strong. I am wondering if, because I have another order of the cuben tape coming in, I should tape over the back of all the seams not only to water proof the pack except for the drawstring. It would also strengthen the seams of the pockets greatly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools