Topic

PNW Spiders, snakes, etc with a tarp setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PNW Spiders, snakes, etc with a tarp setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi folks!
    I've recently gotten a new oware 2.5 cattarp, and a lightweight (5oz) bivy, and I'm trying to get my girlfriend to try it out with me. The biggest argument I run up against with using a tarp is that you arent as "protected" (I suppose we can leave alone the fact that against any type of bigger animal (cat, bear, etc) you aren't protected period…) from the buggers and snakes and little animals.

Any pointers on how to battle that particular battle?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yes. Don't create a battle that doesn't need to be created. If she feels uncomfortable under a tarp, then bring a tent or tarptent as well. Yeah, then the tarp would be theoretically redundant weight, but so what? With a tent / tarptent comfort zone set up, who knows, your GF might be tempted to try out the tarp on the second or third night — knowing she can always escape back to her tent if things don't work out.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

+1 for what B2W said

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Snakes and other large critters aren't a problem under a tarp.
    Spiders and other crawlies maybe, but flying bugs are the real issue.

You mention that you use a bivy. That adds the same protection as using a fully enclosed tent. So there should be no issue?

If your girlfriend has a real phobia about these things, I doubt she is going to be happy no matter what you do. You will be spending more time outside of your shelter than in it.

You may want to stick to day hikes in all kinds of conditions, including bug season and rain to acclimate her before you attempt any long overnight trips.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

I have done all most all of my hiking in the Washington Cascades over the last 15 years. I have seen exactly one snake at a low elevation near the start of a hike. I can't recall any spider issues ever. Mosquitoes, especially last year, were annoying but no worse then my experience else where. Sometimes when it gets warm in the higher elevations there have been some biting flies, but only during the day and only an annoyance when I stopped. A bivy with some kind of bug netting should be plenty. I can't comment on anything further East of the Cascades.

Cody Croslow

@graelb

I think you guys have a great idea there about not actually trying to "force" her into sleeping in the tarp. (Especially not in the winter…) She actually just said yesterday that she'll sleep in the tarp! weeeoooo!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"Spiders and other crawlies maybe, but flying bugs are the real issue."

Ditto that. But stay away from the two month window starting roughly mid-June or so and you're golden with a tarp in the PNW. It indeed is about perceptions and mental comfort. For a similar issue, my wife liked using my backpacking hammock quite well, except that she never felt secure; she had the sense that she was somehow more vulnerable to wild animals in a hammock than on the ground, never mind any sort of objective analysis or data.

If it's important to you to break through that, however, what works is if the person is willing to push through it — i.e., sleep enough nights in a tarp and you find out in your gut (not just in your head) that nasty things won't be constantly crawling over you! :-) At the end of the day, the person with the concern has to be willing (or you have to be willing to really stress your relationship!).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have slept out 100s of nights in PNW in tarp or nothing

Occasionally I find a spider or bug crawling across me, just brush it off.

A time or two I think a field mouse has run across me. It was more scared of me I think.

If this bothers you, then maybe tarping isn't the best, but it's just psychological.

some periods in summer – mosquitoes or black flies can be serious problem, need DEET or netting protection.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"She actually just said yesterday that she'll sleep in the tarp!"

You lucky dog, you! Hope you two have a great trip! :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools