Topic

High Protein Trail Foods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion High Protein Trail Foods

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Kier,

That's almost identical to an oatmeal recipe I just came up with and put up on my blog recently. Oatmeal, protein powder, fruit, etc. I had flax meal in it instead of nuts, and cinnamon. Guess I'm ready for the Olympics too!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I will have to try that combination, thanks for posting it.
    I am a believer when it comes to oatmeal; I read years ago that it is one of the foods that crosses over to "medicine", partly due to the mucilage. Steel cut oats and dried fruit, with a bit of olive oil, is what I eat for breakfast five days a week.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have been consuming 120+ grams of protein per day for more than 30 years. This has been in various forms but for the past 15 years or so it has been bars and powder. I have a powdered shake for breakfast and two bars during the day with a meat source as part of dinner.

I have been most happy with the Premier bars at 2.5 oz, 280 cal, and 30 grams of whey. Costco is the best source at $19 for a box of 24. I eat two a day at home and on the trail and will surpass the 10k mark this year.

Another bar I like are the Zone bars with 15 grams, 175-210 cals and 1.75oz. These are soy and whey and more palatable. I have taken powder with me but prefer the simplicity of the bars.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Great tip – I hadn't seen those Premier bars before! Will have to try some…

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Peanut Butter Play Dough

Peanut Butter
    Powdered Milk
    Honey

Mix to desired taste. Powdered milk is a bit gritty right after mixing but it smoothes out after an hour or so. Ideal consistency is not sticky, mouldable. Shape into people, animals, battle scenes, etc. Then eat. I prefer to bite the heads off first, my son likes to start with legs.

Our son is often very finicky but if he's hungry he will scarf this down. I had presumed that it was very high in protein, but doing a little figuring I find it's only about 20% protein.

Using estimated proportions by mass= 5 Peanut Butter: 3 Powdered Milk: 2 Honey I get 140 calories/ounce with 20% protein, 50% fat, 30% carbs.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Peanut Butter Play Dough = Kool food.

Sounds like a good dense source of most anything an active hiker would need.
    The powder milk combined with peanut butter has all the amino acids.
    20% protein is a good amount of protein.

Kick it up a notch and use Nido(or Klim) instead of non-fat powder milk.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Love that Nido! Sounds like a great recipe, I'll have to try it…

Ben F

@tekhna

Be careful, it can seriously mess up your digestive system if you're not used to it. Try it at home for a while before taking it out on the trail with you. I'm not lactose intolerant, and only bought high-quality stuff, and I was a bloated constipated wreck.

Eric D.
    BPL Member

@ewdysar

Locale: SoCal

I've been making this as a shake for breakfast for the last two months. I really don't like the taste of soy protein, this stuff has a nuttier underlying taste that I like much more. Some reviewers say that it isn't as smooth or as sweet as regular protein mixes with ingredients that you can't pronounce, but that makes sense to me. At home, I make it with FF milk for extra protein, but I can drink it with just water if needed (like if I didn't go to the store).

• 130 calories per 30g (4 Tbsp) serving
    • No saturated fat
    • 9 grams of protein (30% protein)
    • 500 mg of Omega 3
    • 10 essential amino acids
    • It is vegan! (no dairy)
    • It is soy free!
    • It is also gluten free!
    • Low in sodium
    • High in iron
    • High in dietary fiber (11g, that's 36% fiber!)

The entire ingredient list is: Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Organic Palm Sugar, Organic Vanilla Flavor. That's it.

Anyway, I haven't taken it on the trail yet. But I thought that I would throw this out there.

Texas Chinooks

@texaschinooks

Locale: DFW

How long do you think the Play Dough would last in July on the Colorado Trail (hot days/Cold nights). I know honey is good, peanut butter is good, and dried milk is good…not so sure how the milk holds up once you mix it with honey and peanut butter.

I plan on using this for my just before bed to warm me up meal

1/4 Cup Peanut Butter (preservative laden kind)
    1/4 Cup Honey
    1/4 Cup Nido Whole Dry Milk + a little more till not sticky

Mix in a plastic bowl so it doesn't stick as badly

Peanut Butter = 1/4 Cup = 383 calories 16 g protein
    Honey = 1/4 Cup = 258
    Nido Dry Milk = 177 calories 8 protein

Total: Calories 818 or 414 per serving
    Protein: 24g or 12g per serving

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

If you have a trader joes around you get the trader joes brand whey protein in chocolate. Mix it with some Nido and it makes great hot chocolate to have with breakfast and after dinner (dont use boiling water though.. just warm/hot). It mixes very well compared to normal whey protein.

Dominick Cordasco
    BPL Member

@dominickc

I’ve recently discovered that Naked Nutrition makes a Protein Cereal from whey protein. I like the apple and cinnamon version: 120 cal total, 15 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs.  Total weight per pack = 32 grams. Eat straight from the pack or mix with your favorite granola trail mix.  Also, I have hiked with Mt. Capra’s Yo-Quick goat milk yogurt packs: 110 calories, 21 grams carbs, 4 grams protein. Powder mixes easily with 5 oz of water.  Comes with either freeze dried strawberries or blue berries and a simple vanilla flavor.  Enjoy!

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools