Topic

6 moons deschutes vs split wing tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 6 moons deschutes vs split wing tarp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Right now I’m trying to decide between the 6 moons deschutes vs split wing tarp.

Thoughts? Help me make up my mind or sway me one way or the other.

The biggest difference in my eyes is the material of 20D silnylon  vs 10D nylon 66 and the deschutes being slightly bigger at 44sqft vs 27-32sqft. The splitwing is about right on in size with tarptent notch or aeon

The 66 nylon seems pretty impressive and less prone to water absorption

I’m 6ft, for what is matters

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m 5’6” and I found the Deschutes to be worryingly small. I was never in a storm in mine but after 10 or 15 nights I decided I would want more coverage in a storm with blowing wind and rain.

Everyone has different levels of comfort with storms. Yours might be different than mine.

Also relevant is the conditions you camp in. Are you typically at lower altitudes in the trees or do you camp up high above treeline?

On the pro side, it’s priced well, reasonably light and compact.

I just picked up a YMG Cirriform Min tarp in DCF. It provides more coverage than the Slingfin when buttoned up. It has a wonderful design that allows you to use a side entry in less challenging conditions and to use front entry during storms. I think it’s a compelling “best of both worlds” solution.  Gen makes it in silpoly which is cheaper and would pack smaller. I don’t know what his production schedule is like right now but I think the tarp is worth considering.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Matthew,

Thanks for the reply.  I live in flat land usa so 90+ of stuff I do is in the trees.

I’ve looked at the Cirriform as well,  looks pretty good,  his production schedule is through July right now on his website and he’s only making the dcf version so no clue as to the silpoly version which is what I’d go for.  I can’t justify dcf.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I’ve had and still use a six moons wild oasis which is a smaller (older) version of the deschutes. I’m 5’10” It’s been fine once I’ve learned it’s set up issues. But there is always a bigger storm. I always look for wind blocks unless I’m sure of the weather and try to get door on down wind side if wind is predictable. I keep it tighter to ground in bad weather. Best to pitch rear corners first then center front then front corners and last rear center

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don’t have, nor have I used either tarp. But I have used an 8×10 flat tarp (similar to the split wing but no beak), a Pocket Tarp (similar to Descutes, but only one night of rain pre-addition of doors) and a Gossamer Gear One (which is shaped somewhat similar to the Deschutes but is a tent) and a Tarptent Squall (shaped similar to the split wing but is a tent).

In my opinion, tarps and tents that are shaped like pyramids are easier to get in and out of. When you sit up, your head goes pretty close to the highest part of the shelter, so you are less likely to get your head all wet. But it does depend on the overall size of the shelter, too.

Tarps and tents shaped like A-frames are easy to get in and out of if they are tall enough, but if they are not, it’s harder to get inside without getting your head or your back wet, or having to struggle in some way.

The Squall I borrowed drenched me because the doors in the front were like going through the car wash. When I sat up I had to scoot as close to the doors as possible to gain enough head room to sit upright. Anywhere else and my head would rub against the top and get wet. It was also very long and so almost half the shelter was useless to me because I could not reach down at the foot end without getting my head wet rubbing against the top. If the Split Wing is similar in size and shape, you might get annoyed.

My A-frame tarp was very nice to use in the rain. It made a large living space where I could keep my wet stuff away from my dry living space. I set it up tall which gave me lots of headroom and was easy to get in and out of. I set it up so the 10′ side made the ^ shape and the 8′ side was the ridgeline length. I experienced 6 days straight of rain and was comfortable and dry. If the Split Wing is similar in size, you will be comfortable.

My Gossamer Gear One makes a similar large living space because of the generous vestibule and the tall height. I can sit up easily without getting my head wet. The pyramid shape provides a lot of room. If the Deschutes is about the same size it would probably work just as well.

My Pocket Tarp, before I added doors, was easy to roll out into the rain. I have yet to see how it works with doors, but it should be an improvement. I doubt it will be as safely dry under there as my A-frame flat tarp is because the sleeping area is only about 30″ wide, maybe only 26″ wide. Being not spacious, it is hard to find a place to sit upright without my head rubbing against it. If the Deschutes is similar in size you might have similar issues. I’m only 5’3″ tall.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I live in flat land usa so 90+ of stuff I do is in the trees.

With so much time in the trees, I think I’d lean towards the Deschutes for ease of use because of the convenience of side entry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools