Topic

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Great write up Tad! Thanks for putting it together. I like the idea of having some articles that are more accessible for someone who's not a gear geak.

Warren
    BPL Member

@icensnow

Locale: New England, USA

Thanks for this overview geared (pun intended :-).

I noticed the venting at the peak of the Sierra Designs Origami 3 tarp. Current versions of the tarp don't seem to have this.
    http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-294-origami-3-tarp.aspx

Thomas Glennon
    BPL Member

@eagletrek007

Tad,

Thanks for the second installment. Had to laugh at the "bungee belt". Just went through "the wet jeans won't stay up" experience this past wet weekend. Still trying to convince some of my folks that nylon pants are the way to go.

Re: Stoves From my personal experience I've found remote cannister stoves to be a better choice for scouts based on safety (no overheating the cannister), better heat management/fuel management (better fitting wind screen), and stability (less of a chance to spill that boiling water).

Trek On!

Sean Barnette

@firemedic183

Locale: Mid West

What a fantastic article!! I recently taught the backpacking portion at IOLS, and I largely used your article as a basis for my lesson plan. I do have one question however…I have heard that you are not allowed to bring a tarp to Philmont. You must bring a tent! This seems a bit ludicrous to me, and I am wondering how we might be able to convince Philmont to change that particular policy. Thank you for your service to Boy Scouts, and thank you for a very educational and well written article!

John L Collins
    BPL Member

@wvcubdad

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail

This is great stuff!

We are having a winter campout (okay, more of a rain event in the Eastern Panhandle of WV than snow) this weekend and we did a gear shakedown this past Sunday during our Troop meeting. Lots of cotton clothing, we made suggestions on what to take instead, heavy tents (will have to work/fund raise into lighter ones) and a bunch of heavy metal messkits. As with much of Scouting, it's a process to get the pounds off, although I must say my son's pack was 19.8 pounds with water but no food (since they hadn't finished the menu or shopped yet!) I'm ashamed to say mine was significantly heavier and I've been going through it and slashing left and right. I should be down by his weight in time to head out tomorrow evening.

John

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Luke, yes its good to have a primer every once in a while, we all started at different times, glad to see its helpful.

Warren, I think the vent is still there on the SD Origami, it might be hard to tell from there website, but they list a vent in the spec's.

Thomas, about jeans- show them the picture of the bungee and maybe they will get the hint.
    I like the upright canisters because they are a little more "fool" proof- less things for the "adults" to figure out, kids have now problem. We do use the Coleman Xtreme and Xpert stoves for winter camping; much safer than a white gas stove.

Sean,I would review the Philmont Threads to get a read on the tarp/tent Philmont thing. I've heard they are making some changes but I don't know what the "rule" is.

John, hope you enjoy the February rain. Keep working on getting your own weight down. I've seen parents try and lighten their child's weigh by increasing their own. Don't redistribute, work on lightening everyone's load.

Sandra Powell
    BPL Member

@trailrunner87511

Can you describe a freezer bag cozie and how to make one? I assume it is to keep food warm longer? Thanks!

Thomas Glennon
    BPL Member

@eagletrek007

Cozie pouches can be made from various items such as closed cell foam, craft foam or reflective bubble wrap by Reflectix. They can be sewn, taped, or glued together depending on the material you use. Reflectix bubble wrap is sold in various size rolls at your "big box" stores. A quick trip to Youtube will provide videos on how to make them. I made some as give-aways for my Wood Badge patrol.

Zombie Bobwhites Forever!!!!

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Just an additional suggestion that I have been using for a while to get away from the bulky fleece. Buy wool garments on Ebay! I usually pay between $8 and $20 for merino wool sweaters. Yes, some are V-necks or have that awesome argile pattern on them. However it has been a great way to set the kids up with good/light sweaters that work in the layering system. Just be careful of the 50% wool/50% polyesteer ones. They tend to be lighter but are 3 season at best.

Jason

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

I am teaching a course on this next month and thought it might be good to bring it back up here.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Did I miss your mention of packs in a senior moment or will you address this in a later article?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Eric, it is discussed in Part 1 of this article (this was Part 2):
    What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking Part 1

Thanks for reading
    Tad

George Ramsdell
    BPL Member

@ghramsdell

Very informative article, I am Scoutmaster south of you in Snohomish WA!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Thanks George. Feel free to share the link to this and the first article (referenced above) with the parents in your troop or whomever.

Bill Giles
    BPL Member

@wgiles51

Locale: Central Illinois

My everyday sock choice is Acrylic. Acrylic socks have most of the benefits of wool, and are more common and less expensive. Since this article often refers to twelve year old boys, I think that Acrylic socks would be a good choice. For many years, I wore steel toe boots at work five or more days a week. I had wool socks, but they were usually hot and scratchy (before Merino wool). I long ago came to the conclusion that cotton socks were worthless and also blister factories. I finally started wearing Acrylic socks and found that my feet stayed warm, the socks dried out fairly quickly and they were comfortable. I haven't had a blister on my feet in years and suspect that these socks might have something to do with that. The fabric in the heels gets thin after a few months and I retire them. When I buy socks (or most clothing, for that matter), I always look at the label to see what materials are in them. Most of the socks that I see are cotton or cotton synthetic blends. I can usually find Acrylic steel toe boot socks in the big discount stores. A bit of foot powder might also be in order.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

William, thanks for reading the articles.

Good suggestion on the inexpensive socks for younger set. They might be more apt to wear them also (wool doesn't look as cool).

For me, I prefer wool. I have been wearing wool socks for so long (everyday, year round)I don't feel hot wearing them anytime of year. But then again, everyone tells me I'm a little different not just with my socks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools