Topic

Heavy Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Heavy Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Some comments from that individual..
    HI, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a thru hike with a $2000 budget

I can handle not sleeping in hotels and such I'm a really adaptable and rugged person i can sleep comfortably on nails and for the last 5+ years Ive eaten once every 1-3 days if that puts it into perspective

Aside from alot of this year I've spent most of my days doing high output activities,; such as martial arts, biking, weight lifting, etc. I'm not a fatty lol

Ya its 40-50 with food and water (weight on the AT)

Q :Just curious, whatever happened to your 24lb $6k gear list?

A : Actually I changed the list quite a bit but I bumped the cost up to 8k for my gear.

I only had a limited amount of funds to begin with. I decided to put most of it into my gear so i don't have to worry about replacements later. I originally had enough cash to leave me with at least 3k left but some stuff happened and i had to spend some of it.

Yeah I know the pack is big but unfortunately I got suckered into buying it on some crappy website without a guarantee like rei. It was also the 1st thing I bought

If I was gunna get another pack it would have been the http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx…Packs/Naos-85# anyway, It's 2 pounds lighter and waterproof. I don't think it's a very wise idea to carry around my kind of gear with a light weight backpack. Besides the bora pack is near legendary status in the backpack world so I don't think It's particularly a bad thing I have it.

My verdict ?

Not a troll , just youth and inexperience
    Franco

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"I couldn't watch anymore after I saw his full-length Z-Lite…"

I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to say, because it sounds as though you think the full length z-lite is heavy. As far as pads go, its very light. Sure, not as light as the z-lite 3/4 or whatever it is, but still, its only 14 ounces.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I agree Greg. Now granted I stopped watching at around the 8 minute mark. He had already pulled out machete, a 4" or so fixed blade knife for batoning, a folding saw, full size leatherman, and a large hatchet… He hadn't even opened up the main compartment yet =(

Also if this is for bushcraft, why so much gear? I though the entire point of bushcraft was "give me a sturdy knife and come back in year, I'm solid."

He carries more gear than an UL, LW, or even many traditional backpackers yet claims to be a survivalist?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Trying to finish the video and I just get this sense of immense fear from the narrator. He has so many backups and backups for his backups.

Looking at his light selections I can't help but reminded of the Johnny Copp (may he R.I.P.) clip from The Sharp End climbing movie. He's up on some belay or bivy ledge and says "…and I don't have a headlamp…cuz I dropped it. Well see we aren't going to need it, that was the whole plan, here…"

Or hell even Tyson's "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Shite happens and you adapt. Fear impedes that learning process =/

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have carried an axe a lot. I have even carried and axe and machete at the same time, but to be fair the machete was strictly for clearing blackberry bushes. If you have the right mindset, a tool like that can get a lot done and you will find yourself packing a lot less. For example, I only carry a 5×7 tarp and one of my last trips it was going to storm, so I used the axe to build a roomy shelter by chopping off the branches of a large, windblown redwood.
    But carrying an axe, a machete, while ALSO carrying a tent, inflatable pad, stove, filter… there is something wrong with that. An axe is not for banging around on a couple of dry logs to impress your friends and then switching to a stove when it gets a little wet. If you aren't prepping fire in wet weather, cutting bows for ground insulation, building natural shelters when the weather comes in instead of relying on a strong tent, making tarp stakes, intentionally carrying less camp clothing and keeping warm by the fire, and intentionally choosing a sleeping bag that isn't toasty warm while relying on a fire in drastic temperature drops, then a chopping tool doesn't make sense for long distance backpacking. But give yourself a couple hours and you can MAKE yourself comfortable and warm for the night even if it starts snowing in July.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"Also if this is for bushcraft, why so much gear? I though the entire point of bushcraft was "give me a sturdy knife and come back in year, I'm solid.""

Couldnt agree more. The most important tool is the mind, and if its sharp enough (pun intended?), its the only tool you need.

brian lowe

@gonecrazy

Locale: pacific north west

ive took a ten pound all included pack for a weekend and strapped a 18 of budlight to the bottom ;)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"and strapped a 18 of budlight to the bottom ;)"

whisky is lighter :)

Michael Foster

@nolamyke

Locale: Louisiana

This thread is great reading, especially the links. I think the funniest part is thinking about when I was in the same place they were: seduced by the glossy magazines and advertisements, lusting after the flashy do-dads at the store. Hey, you have to hand it to these guys for getting outside and putting themselves "out there" on the net. They gotta have thick skins or just be really hard headed.

Michael Foster

@nolamyke

Locale: Louisiana

I'm sure most of you have seen this but it's another great example of inexperience.

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/appalachian-trail/gear-list-starting/

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools