Topic

Zero day gear….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zero day gear….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

What is that one or two pieces of gear you only carry for a zero day? Regardless of weight or lack of use, you carry it to enjoy on that lovely day off resting in the back country.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

P

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Tenkara rod?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

In the Sierras, sometimes a fishing pole.

Binoculars.

Camera, since I don't usually take one.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For me, I don't carry anything for enjoyment. The hike itself is the enjoyment! Yeah, I once took my mp3 player with me — and found that songs I liked to listen to at home became somehow annoying and distracting. YMMV on this one, definitely.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

a kindle is a nice thing to have on a zero or low mileage day.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

What is a zero day? sorry for being clueless …

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

A zero is a day off from a long hike. Zero day = zero miles. Nero = nearly zero.

I don't really carry gear for a zero, but I guess I use my journal and camera on zeros. Also my sleeping pad for a lot of lounging around.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Noel: It's a day where you don't log any miles. So say you're doing the 212 mile John Muir Trail, you've gone for five days and you're sore and in need of R&R, you decide to just "hang out" and not move to the next camp. That's a zero day

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

+1 on bringing a kindle and reading outside!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Michael:

Thanks for the definition. I mistakenly assumed "day trip". But using your definition of a day's break from a long trip, I can't imagine lugging a Kindle (etc.) all the rest of the time (and somehow keeping it charged).

But even with this definition, for me, I still wouldn't bring anything extra.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

a book which can be swapped, deck of cards and red and black poker chips for playing checkers.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Dunno what you are thinking, but e-ink e-readers have very long battery life, unlike LCD e-readers like the kindle fire and B&N nook, which are essentially crippled tablets.

BM

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Patrick,

I'm with you. Wash some clothes, lounge, swim, maybe fish. Usually it is a little bit of exploring too. Books/Kindles… nah. There is too much other stuff to enjoy. I can read at home.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

I bring a basic hammock to chill in after a lazy lunch.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Fishing gear and a IPOD with small speakers and listen to some chill-out music.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

E-Ink Kindle weighs 6-8 oz depending on model and have a month or more of battery life. They're on par with a paperback for weight but much more functionality.

That said isn't carrying zero day gear like carrying bivy gear on climb "If you bring it, you'll use it" ;)

Granted I've never done a long hike but I find boredom with no indulgences is a great motivator for moving around!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What is that one or two pieces of gear you only carry for a zero day?"

Nada, zip, nothing. Zero gear for zero days. In the places I visit, simply wandering around experiencing the "unbearable lightness of being" provides all the enjoyment I could possibly ask for. About as SUL as it gets. Actually, I have always allowed for a substantial number of such days when planning my trips. It is a major reason I go to the mountains. Some go to pick 'em up and put 'em down; I go simply to be. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

Although I rarely bring it, if I know I will be taking some zero days then a nice bird identification book is what I bring. Although I tend to take short walks from camp when doing this so not sure they are technically zeroes

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"Although I tend to take short walks from camp when doing this so not sure they are technically zeroes"

That would be a perfect zero. A little exploring of whatever strikes your fancy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Probably all that Nick needs for a zero day is a beard comb. Maybe he uses cholla for that.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Now that is a stellar idea.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

A credit card and some cash, plus lightweight shorts and t-shirt to wear while my clothes are in the washing machine. Charging cord for my cell phone.

I think we have a different idea of *where* to spend a zero day! :-)

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes, town stops are often welcome.

I would add a pint glass is a welcomed zero day respite, especially if filled with a good microbrew.

Dirk

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

high-doseage sunscreen, a dynamite view, and an ice cold PBR. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools