Topic

Day pack / Cycling pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Day pack / Cycling pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Hi All.

The first set of straps from the thread 'making neat straps' (here) now have a home on pack.

It is a (hopefully) fairly study pack for cycling / tooling around town etc. The back and bottom are cordura. The red fabric is silnylon and the grey is laminated nylon.

pack

It's a roll top closure with clips on the sides. I cut a bit off an old plastic divider type sheet to stiffen the top edge.
    pack top

Here are the straps in their new home.
    pack back

The mesh goes all the way around but there is a line of stitching on the corners dividing it into three. Not very easy to see.
    pack side

The bottom is angled a bit so it's not just a rectangle.
    pack bottom

I need to get some shockcord to go on it, and tidy up the straps, but otherwise it's finished. It has a sternum strap and hip belt (just webbing for this). I'm giving it to someone else so hopefully it survives being used.

I flat felled the sides and the bottom. The bottom and side 1 were fairly easy. Side 2 was very tricky. Daniel had a good thread on doing this here, but I still wasn't sure how he managed it. Daniel, if you read this, it looks like your sewing machine is inside your pack?? Did you flat fell the sides before closing the bottom? That would explain it maybe.

Anyway, I went slowly and it turned out quite neat. I had to unpick one section where I sewed a few stitches through more layers than I meant! Cheers for reading.

Sam

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Looks good! One day I may just make something similar.

I don't know if it's just me, but the links aren't working for me.

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Wow! That's a really great looking pack.

The links didn't work for me either.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Thanks for the comments guys.

I checked and the links do seem slow but did work for me.

Here are the long versions.

Thread about straps:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59608

Daniels thread about flat felling inside a pack:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58070

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Nice nice, I like the way you roll the top, and that it has 2 buckles, one on each side, instead of just one that creates a loop.

I have been thinking about this 'problem' ( avoiding the loop) as well, but never thought about this elegant 'buckle on each side' solution.

Good sewing too, lightyears ahead of my skills..

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Sam,
    That a really nice looking pack you made great design and sewing skills.
    Terry

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Thanks guys!

Pete, I quite like how the buckles came out too. They're not my idea though, I'm sure I've seen them on other packs and certainly ortlieb panniers can close on the sides like this.

The downside is of course you are using twice the buckles, so it's not very lightweight!

As for the sewing, thanks for the compliment. But really it's not difficult it just takes some practice. I'd never sewed anything before this January. Go for it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools