Topic

Favorite Shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Favorite Shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

What are your favorite shelters for troop backpacking? Both for patrol sized shelters and "buddy" sized shelters.
    From what I have read here, the Black Diamond Betamid looks like a good value as does the Mega Light.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Mark,

My troop has used Oware 10' x 10' pyramids for 4 person groups (usually 2 mids per patrol).

We have also used a MLD circus tent for a whole patrol at once.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mark, our troop has a bunch of "Sierra Designs Origami 3" that we use. They are a 3 boy tarp and weigh 2 lbs.
    Part 2 of "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking" will be out on Wednesday, I have a picture of one in the article.

I do like the Oware pyramids also but we received a super deal from SD so we couldn't pass it up.

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

MLD removed the Circus from their offerings saying no one was ordering. You might have the only one. Can I buy it from you? (just kidding…sort of..hahaha)

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

For cheap 1-3 man tents,, I see a lot of alps mountaineering tents. If you purchase through scout direct.com, you get some big discounts. the chaos 2 and 3 hold up well in the long term. Not exactly ultralight.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dan, Alps does have a good scout discount. Our troop bought a bunch years ago and the tents weighed 10 lbs each. I even discuss this issue in the next article coming out this week here at BPL titled "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
    Part 2: Clothing, Footwear, Group Gear (Water Treatment, Stoves and Fuel, Shelter)"
    Look for the part discussing how to divide up a ten pound tent between four when there is only three parts and one weighs 5 lbs (the tent body).
    Hopefully it will be a good read.

You could read Part 1 as a primer

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
    Part 1: The Lightweight Lesson, Essentials, Backpack, Sleeping Bag and Pad, Personal Kit. Basic training for the beginner and/or young backpacker, with a focus on Scouts

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

Black Diamond Guiding Light.

5 pounds, 6 ounces. Holds 4 or 5 boys. Weatherproof, bugproof.

I've used lighter weight shelters, tarps etc. in the past and haven't been happy with them for scout use.

Having a haven from mosquitoes is key. Also, we often camp high, in places that are exposed to harsh weather. At a little over 1 pound per boy, these tents provide excellent shelter for the weight.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

The guiding light and lighthouse are two of my favorite tents so naturally, they would be the tents bd discontinues. Luckily i have a lighthouse in great shape and i always keep an eye out for a well priced guiding light.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My son has a Betamid and loves it. He and another six-footer enjoyed it at Philmont.

Look for them to go on sale for about $80 or bite the bullet and pay the full Benjamin. The Betamid is probably the cheapest entry to lightweight. Get ground cloths from Gossamer Gear to go with it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools