Topic

spring it on me!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring spring it on me!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

spring is coming and i'm throbbing to cycle.
    i'm far from a bike mechanic, but i'm amping it up.
    think: top-roping> lead
    kinda, sorta.
    what are suggestive measures to get my bike road-readied?
    as in, what are the absolutes to attend to?
    i've purchased a book to assist, and i'm certain i can navigate
    (or at least try)
    bottom line: i'm wishing to avoid getting hosed by the local bike shop.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I clean and lube my chain every 100-200mi all year long. every 500 or so i take the cassette off and scrub each cog to get rid of the gunk. I also use a dental pick to scrape out around the rear derailler pully cogs. a quick wipe of the front chainrings with a rag doesn't hurt either.

tools:

rag/old t shirt scraps for wiping chain, another "clean" one for wiping excess lube after it soaks on the chain for a while.

cheap dental pick

Park Tool SR-1 Sprocket Remover/Chain Whip for taking the cassette off
    Park Tool FR-5 Cassette Lockring Tool " "

i use Prolink gold for lube and Simple Green to scrub the cassette off the bike.

that is most of a tune up. as long as your cables aren't rusty and shifting is good then you don't need to mess with that.

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

This site is the best I have found anywhere. I also use their tools as they represent some of the best out there. Don't get cheap tools.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Plus bikeforums.net has a great mechanics section with cyclist eager to help

I ride everyday(commuter) and clean/lube the drive train weekly. I also make sure the brake pads are free of crud(especially in winter)and tires inflated(weekly as well). These chores should be done regularly.
    FWIW: going from top roping to the sharp end is way more difficult:) Charlie

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

"going from top roping to the sharp end is way more difficult:"

bahh don't be a wimp ;)

park tools site is definitely awesome. and bikeforums has pulled me out of jams even my bike shop couldn't figure out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools