Topic

Learning to poncho (a recent convert)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Learning to poncho (a recent convert)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Here' a MLD simple silnylon poncho set up with a GG LT4, glow wire, and Ti stakes. Works well if you're under 6'.

MLD Poncho in half mid

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice pitch, Brian.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Thanks, Nick. Flat ground never hurts. Also, the half pyramid is much easier with a non-cat cut tarp than the A-frame. But like so many, I don't like crawling under a flat tarp 2' off the ground anyway. WIll try to dig up some more if the OP's still interested. I've moved to shaped tarps, Trailstar, Mids, have yet to pick up a hexamid, I know you get along great with yours. Since it's summer, might be time to email Joe V. If only it will arrive by fall.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

We have a S2S poncho each that can button together. Has anyone tried doing this on a trip? The only issue is the possibility of rain coming in along the buttoned ridge where there is only one inch of overlap.
    If it was pitched with the overlapping side into the wind and the guy point half way along the ridge was used to help it might be usable as a 2 man shelter with the addition of a. bug net and ground sheet? it makes an 8.5x10ish tarp.

S2S dual poncho a frame
    Benen

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

One thing that I've found is that a your typical 5×8(or 9) style poncho tarp was generally fine for me in more arid climates, but not so much in wetter environments.

I lean toward either bigger tarps or shaped tarps for areas where rain is common.

The Gatewood cape provides much more coverage in adverse conditions than a flat tarp cape. The Gatewood cape can be significantly warmer at night as well.

There is really only one pitch with the Gatewood, but you can raise it and lower it and either close or open the front depending on how much ventilation you need.

I believe the Zpacks Hexamid is very similar in shape when it is pitched.

I really liked the Gatewood cape on one wet, cold and windy late fall trip I was on in NY. It rained every night and the wind would often change direction.

I would have had to have been much more particular about site selection if I had been using my flat poncho tarp. I would have also not been as warm at night.

The Gatewood is a little heavier and more expensive than a Golite Poncho tarp, but you can find them used from time to time.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools