Topic

PCT, Cloudburst Summit to Cooper Canyon, 2/18-19/2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT, Cloudburst Summit to Cooper Canyon, 2/18-19/2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Really nice, Craig. Some good thoughts about making it easy to get out the door with your kids.

I also agree that taking short trips with one kid can lead to rewarding one-on-one time for the parent who stays home with the other kid.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Great trip report Craig. I miss taking my little brother on trips… sigh. Enjoy it while you can.
    I have a question about your SL-3. Is that what failed on your previous trip or was that a MLD mid?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah, it was the same shelter as on the last trip Luke.
    The failure was in no way the fault of the shelter, it was my fault for not staking it sufficiently in the beginning (I didn't know the winds would get as high as they did); the winds got so high that some stakes pulled on two occasions (which will subsequently cause the shelter to fail). Once I got the stakes to hold, the stitching on one stake loop started to tear out (the winds were that strong), but it held and it was an easy fix at home- rip the stitching and re-sew it. If anything, the sewing on the stake loops on this shelter are probably more robust than many others I've seen. I'm not 100% sure that the wind alone caused it- the stitching might have had abbrasion from previous trips- I've been using it for about 3 years, possibly more.

It remains my favorite 2 person+ shelter (that I've ever owned/used). I've thought about replacing it on many occassions…going lighter, going newer, but I haven't because I think it's still really good at what it does for the weight. From solo backpacking with the fly only (great for heavy rain) to carrying the fly+inner on trips with kids or car camping- not to mention being able to use it in just about any weather, including light 4 season…

If I ever replace it, it'll likely be with an MLD Speedmid with perimeter netting…but until I wear it out, it's a keeper.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools