Topic

PCT Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning PCT Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Duke

@jd1987

I'm looking for any recommendations on hikes along the PCT that you guys have been on that is also open for dogs. Most likely I'll be out there late July for a while and would like to backpack along the northern part of the PCT – so Washington Oregon or maybe North cal – from what I can tell, you can't have a dog in any of the national parks or NPS lands.

So for you that have traveled the PCT – what sections do you recommend? Thanks in advanced guys.

Johnny

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The section between Stehekin or Rainy Pass and the Canadian border is really pretty. The Glacier Peak Wilderness is amazing. The Sisters and Mt. Jefferson areas are nice, as is Mt. Hood and the Eagle Creek Creek route. In Nor Cal my favorite section was from Castle Crags to Seiad Valley or Ashland.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

+1

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Thank you. I'll look into those. I've heard plenty of good thinks about Eagle Creek.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

How many days do you have, approximately?

Do you want to do a continuous section? Or would you skip around, in order to see some highlights?

– Elizabeth

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Re dogs: in Mt. Rainier NP and North Cascades NP, it's OK to bring your dog on the PCT (no other trails, though) as long as he's kept on leash.

Depending on the time of snow melt, late July may still be quite buggy, especially on the plateaus that have lots of lakes: Sky Lakes, southern Three Sisters Wilderness, Jefferson Park, Olallie Lakes, Indian (Mosquito) Heaven, the section just north of White Pass (Mosquito Valley). Be prepared (head net, repellent, screened shelter for both you and your dog)!

The Three Sisters Wilderness and southern part of the Mt. Washington Wilderness can be really hard on your dog's paws due to pumice and lava abounding everywhere.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

The Glacier Peak Wilderness is amazing.

YOU BET +!

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Elizabeth – we will be out there for at least a week. My dad will be coming out with us so I'm not sure yet exactly what we will be doing, but probably be doing a little skipping around I would imagine.

And in regards to the mosquitoes – are they a factor throughout Oregon during July? We were in Northern Wyoming and Montana last July and the Mosquitoes were killer until we got to high elevations. Is glacier peak wilderness mosquitoey?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools