Topic

Mcgee Creek to Steelhead lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Mcgee Creek to Steelhead lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

I am planning a 3-4 night trip with my father to relive one of his youthful memories of backpacking from Mcgee Creek to Steelhead lake and hopefully to the base of Mcgee Pass. I have learned and grown up hiking in Oahu, Hawaii where the conditions are needless to say different. I am posting my typical gear list for weekend trips here in hawaii and was wondering if you can suggest additions or changes needed. This will be in Juneish. This is for my gear system. I will take your advice and adjust my father's accordingly.

Shelter System:

Hexamid Solo Tarp w/beak
    Tyvek Floor
    8 Groundhogs
    BD Distance FL Pole

Sleep System:

GG Torso Pad
    WM Summerlite 6'
    Kooka Bay Pillow XL

Pack System:

Gossamer Gorilla
    Trash Compacter Bag

Electronics:
    Iphone 4
    Imax Power 5000mAh
    iphone USB cable
    Petzl e-lite

Cook System

Evernew Titanium Nonstick 600ml
    Ti-Tri Caldera Cone w/inferno
    Vargo Ti Folding Spork
    Razor Blade

Water System:
    Nalgene Wide-mouth 96oz
    Aqua drops
    1L Smartwater

Clothes worn:
    Patagonia rock guide pants
    Patagonia long sleeve cap1 silkweight
    UA Boxers
    Injinji Socks
    Inov8 Bare Grip 200
    Columbia Wide brim hat
    Sunglasses

Other clothes:
    Patagonia Torrentshell
    BL Merino Wool Top
    BL Merino Wool Bottom
    Pro-tec Knee Tendon Strap
    Injinji Socks

Chase Norton

@micronorton

mp….shhh just read im not supposed to do this, but wondering if I could get anyone's advice

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I dont know the area you are hiking in but here are some general thoughts.

Bugs – what are you doing for. Assuming the heximid is just the tarp not the tent.
    Stakes – Your stakes way more than your tarp. For the less important tie outs you could use lighter stakes
    Sleep Pad – For your fathers gear list i would get something woth comfort in mind if he doesnt backoack regularly. A little extra weight here can greatly improve the experience
    Phone an charger- do you need the charger on a 4 day trip. Is there phone coverage the whole way, is there a place to charge it.
    Cook system. If you are cooking for two people on one stove a 900-1.2 l pot is nice even just for boiling water
    Water system, not sure of the weight but i perfer 2 smaller bottles so if one gets. Leak as the soft bottkes do occasionally you still have a water bag. Do you really need that much volume for going to a lake?

One reason for the lack of reponses may be that ou didnt post weights. People like to see them

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Location is Eastern Sierra with trailhead near Crowley Lake Elevations 8000 to 10,000 feet. This winter is mild so far. Lakes at 10,000' are often frozen in June. Normally June still has quite a few snow patches and crazy hungry Mosquitos. Bring head nets, DEET, and consider treating clothes with permethrin.

Expect overnight lows around freezing. Evenings and mornings may be quite cool. Especially as we age it becomes less comfortable to stay in bed until it warms up. I suggest a warm jacket and hat to allow your dad to enjoy the cool mornings.

Perfect your coffee making process before the trip. At your altitudes boiled "cowboy coffee" is great. (perfect temp for boiled coffee without bitterness)

EDIT: last time I was there cell phones didn't exist. I did drive down 395 a couple days ago though. I'm pretty sure you won't have cell reception at the trailhead or anywhere on your hike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools