Topic

The ULTIMATE Minimalist Gear from OR 2012(Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Loki)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The ULTIMATE Minimalist Gear from OR 2012(Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Loki)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Hey folks,

While at the Winter 2012 OR Show, I walked past some gear that I thought BPLers would appreciate.

Patagonia:

Patagonia is rolling full-swing with Gore-tex, using Active gear in a series of jackets. They have an un-hooded Active Shell running jacket, rumored at ~8oz that some of you guys would dig.

Mountain Hardwear:

I have a lot of love for MHW gear, but I wasn't as excited about the Uli Steck series as much as I would have hoped (perhaps it is because I am not an alpine climber). The 850 fill, super light, Nilas Jacket is pretty cool. Baffled, using a AirShield Elite (seemed like Windstopper) weighs ~21oz. Warmer, more durable and more weather resistant than the Patagonia Fitz Roy Hoody, and you pay of rit. $500 isn't cheap.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Nilasâ„¢-Jacket/OM4509,default,pd.html

Loki Outerwear:
    For those of your who are all about multi-use gear, LOKI Gear (based out of Grand Junction, CO) puts some of the most ingenious designs into outerwear, hats and gloves that I have ever seen.

Their eVent jacket doubles as a backpack, has integrated mittens and neck gaiter. Check out the video I filmed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_WXPut58m4

Note: I have NO affiliation with any of these companies, I just thought their stuff was cool and you guys could find it useful.

Cheers,

Bobby

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

That LOKI "multitool" jacket is so cool!!! :)

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

it's 766 grams far from UL shell :(

OTOH the 8oz active shell jacket is welcomed :)

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

You're right, most deft not UL, but I figured someone on here would appreciate the "utility" of such a jacket. It's also really bomber, felt like 70D material

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The jacket would be nice for trail runners or day hiking though. In a pinch you have complete hand/torso protection. Granted there are other systems probably cheaper and lighter, but definitely not as convenient.

Now the Access mitt is a pretty cool idea as a whole. Not sure just how warm they can be but definitely worth investigating for deep cold situations.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Now this is definitely interesting:

http://www.lokigear.com/product_detail.php?id=C115

9 oz for a hoody fleece, that also just happens to have mitts and and their very useful face shield. That could give virtually all hooded layers a run for their money. It's also only $99 which is very competitive given the feature set.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

That fleece hoody is very appealing. I hesitate to buy it because I have significantly reduced my pack weight by eliminating mid layers (now using only base layer, puffy, and shell). Maybe I'll see if Ben (of Goosefeet) will make me a SevenD/900fp down parka with integral mittens and fleece face cover like that.

On the other hand, integrating the mittens and face mask reduces flexibility. I might want to use those items and not the torso insulation (when running, for example).

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

While it would be awesome to have a goosefeet version…Loki has applied for a patent. Ben would be wise to not sell any similar items. Their designs are innovative enough that they'll likely be awarded one.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Want me to do a review on something?

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I ordered one of the loki fleeces, thanks. A review at another site put the actual weight for one of the larger sizes at 14.4 ounces, which probably isn't too surprising. I got mine for $69.30 at http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com

I'm not sure if I'll use it backpacking, but it should work for a lot of day hikes.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Loki looks awesome, thanks for the link! Interesting they are located in CO, most of those videos were shot at Colchuck Lake in WA, I think.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Hi John, I'd love to hear if you like your jacket and what the real world weight is. I'm not sure I have a specific use for it…… but I want it.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

OK Michael. I ordered a medium, I'll report back.

Update: My size-medium MEN'S MIDI MICRO FLEECE came in at 14.5 ounces as well.

My first impression is that I'll like it for cool-dry day hikes … so I'll try it for that first.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

It loos pretty darn neat. Is it just me, or is that shell just too cool?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools