Topic

MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

The weather finally broke enough to allow me to test out my latest project. I've been working on the tarp for some time now, and just recently finished the inner net. The net/floor is quite small for the big tarp, but I wanted it to fit the smaller tarp mostly. Well here's a few pics.

Roscoe approves
    tarp1
    tarp2
    Test dummy
    me
    Small tarp set-up small tarp
    small tarp2

EDIT: I totally forgot the weights. The larger tarp is 12oz exactly, the bug net/floor comes in at a stout 12.5oz (eek I got carried away with re-enforcements) and the little A-frame is something like 9.2oz.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Sean,

Those are both good looking tarps. Well done. How much deflection is there in the cat tarp ridgeline? I think that is the deepest cat curve I've seen in a ridgeline.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Hey thanks,

The deflection is 3". I used the spread sheet that Roger made, I think. I think it looks deeper than it is because of how much it's stretched. I don't know for sure though, maybe 3" is a lot. I kinda roughly went off the plans for the Six Moon Nightwing.

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

i've been thinking of doing this mainly for bug protection in the sierras but in the back of my mind i keep thinking, why don't i just make a bathtub floor and have ~6" of netting come from the walls of the tent instead of having all the bug protection above my head which may be redundant. I'm not critiquing your design, i'm just trying to understand if there's a specific advantage in having an inner bug net + the tarp. it looks great by the way.
    Michael

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Michael,

The reason I opted for the full bug net, floor and all, is for versatility. I wanted to have the ability to use all my tarps with the same bug net, also snakes can't get into a fully enclose structure. If I only had the one tarp and pitched it only one way, then a noseeum skirt and floor would be my choice. I'm sure that route would be much lighter than my 12.5 oz design.

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Looks more like a Dog tarp.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Haha well he has his own little tarp I pitch as a lean to in right by mine and a cut down foam sleeping pad. Sadly his gear is lighter than mine. :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools