Topic

swiss protection socks w/ kevlar… no shoes needed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) swiss protection socks w/ kevlar… no shoes needed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

seems like an innovative idea. no affiliation with the company.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/ultra-resistant-kevlar-socks-make-your-feet-hobbit-tough.html

socks

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

(from the article) "But the big question is, are the socks puncture resistant? I seriously doubt they’d offer protection against something as sharp as broken glass."

Broken glass? that's mostly avoidable. I mean, it's visible. What about thorns and goatheads. I can't even walk out my front door barefoot (or something not even across my living room) without getting one in my foot (kids and dog track them in).

For $80 I'll pass. I'd rather send a few extra $$ on some actual shoes like NB minimus or Merrel barefoot shoes. I do wonder how they stay on your foot traversing steep-ish terrain. Will they slide around on the foot?

BM

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

I think there is a market for this in the growing barefoot running/hiking community.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I would agree with both Ty T. and Ultra M. My problem when I run on trails barefoot is the sharp things (thorns and pointy rocks), not the abrasion. These would protect against abrasion but not thorns or pointy rocks, which seems like a misguided remedy. I think it might be a good intermediate step for someone with soft, aristocratic feet who wants to get into barefoot running/hiking, though. A thin urethane or nitrile coating (like on the palms of protective gloves) would make these more useful, I think. I guess one could do that themselves.

Update: I just found that there are several websites that have instructions for applying liquid rubber compounds to socks to give them a rubbery sole.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Ya'll must not be watching the video, the dude is running over sharp rocks throughout the video.

YouTube video

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

There's a big difference between sharp rocks, which spread the cutting edge over a large area, and little really pointy stuff like thorns, etc. All the penetrating power of a thorn is concentrated in a very small area, making it able to slide between kevlar threads. That's why kevlar vests are bullet proof, but not stab-proof. There is stab-proof stuff out there, but it's big and bulky and not made from kevlar.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Even if these aren't worn alone, I have to wonder how they'd work as regular socks. Most socks wear out on the bottom, but these would probably last a whole lot longer. Because they're grippy on the bottom, they might slide within the shoe less, which should mean fewer blisters on long descents. Even if the sock met all my expectations, I'm not sure I could get over paying that much for a pair of socks.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I saw the video. I'd be willing to run over sharp rocks in those socks, too, if the company paid me several thousand dollars to do it in a promotional video.

I think they would need a bit more puncture protection and a thin plastic or composite rock guard to be practical for me.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I think ya'll are being a little negative/quick to disbelieve. Let's wait and see how the claims hold up and not necessarily run out and buy them but wait and see, they might have something.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

After seeing what abrasion can do to mess up kevlar canoe and kayak bottoms, the last place I'd use it would be in sox for running without shoes.

Spectra/Dyneema fabric might work, and you can buy some and whip up some sox. Use spandex on the top for a snug fit. There are threads on MYOG about where to get pure Dyneema.

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

not as negative as the comments here, not sure what my own personal feelings on this product are. if i had some cheap i'd give them a try.

http://birthdayshoes.com/swiss-protection-socks-review

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

is catching a toe. i go barefoot on ocassion and that's my issue/phobia when out in the wild.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools