Topic

ok who is up for a spring sespe trip ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips ok who is up for a spring sespe trip ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

im thinking of hosting another sespe trip for this spring

ANYONE INTERRESTED ?? nick b ? andy duncan? jerry bridgeman??

adan lopez ??

im thinking more milage this time and more exploring with hopefully a soak in the sespe if its not too cold

thinking late april or first of may who is in??

please feel free to suggest any dates or weekends that might work

last years triup was a great one lets make it happen

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'm interested. Again.

My weekend schedule is a bit crazy right now with house projects, so you're better off planning a trip for a date that works for others and then I'll just try to make sure I can keep that weekend clear.

Depending upon the numbers, I'd recommend we consider doing a thru-hike of the Gene Marshall/Piedra Blanca Trail. It's only about 18 miles one-way, so it would be a simple overnighter but it gives folks a taste of a little of everything that Los Padres has to offer.

Or if a shuttle is too much hassle to organize, we could just do part of the hike up the Gene Marshall from the Cuyama side up to Haddock or Pine Mountain Lodge. Beautiful area, reliable water, cooler late spring/early summer temps. There's some swimming holes nearby in Piru Creek. Folks that can do a shuttle could continue on down the other side, following Piedras Blancas Creek to the Sespe and end at the trailhead we all met at last time.

Anyway, lots of options. Let's make it happen.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Hey Kevin, I'm interested. I like the idea of covering some more ground this time. Thanks for mentioning the 18 mile thru hike Nick, that sounds like fun. I can fit 5 plus their gear to help shuttle people back to the t/h. Late April/early May is cool.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'm interested in exploring that area.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Just checked my calendar again. At the moment, I'm definitely not free the weekend of 4/21-22. Other than that, at least for now, April is open. Looks like I'm also tied up the weekend of May 5/6.

I don't expect you guys to plan around me, but those are the dates I definitely cannot make.

Check out this blog posting from another Los Padres hiker for his take on a day thru-hike of the Gene Marshall/Piedra Blanca Trail. It gives a good sense for all of the different landscapes encountered along the way and the terrain.

Clicky clicky

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I'm tied up thru April but I'll be following this thread in case you go in May. I enjoyed Sespe last year and got to meet you all briefly. If not this one maybe I can make the next one.

kevin smith

@divr6347

looking at april 13-14-15 and also may 11-12-13 might be pushing the limit weather wise that late in may but nick can probably elaborate on the conditions around then since the sespe is his playground

the thru hike sounds awesome nick if everyones up for it im game

hopefully we can get a date that works for everyone and make this happen

should be an awesome trip with cool people can t ask for better than that

suggestions for dates that work gladly accepted

im leaving tomorrow for the 4th anual ggg with the bay area bpl ers at henry coe state park wish me luck there are 75 attendees signed up so it should be awesome

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Early May would likely work for me…I love the Sespe.

kevin smith

@divr6347

glad to hear you might be able to make it craig

the sespe is a pretty cool place to camp and go exploring and an afternoon soak is oh so refreshing lol

kevin

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Hi everyone. I'd be up for a Sespe trip. I live in Santa Clarita.

kevin smith

@divr6347

just got back from the 4th anual ggg at coe wheeew what a weekend

im sure there will be a huge trip report up soon but everyone had a blast

great group and great weekend

anyway as to the sespe i say this lets leave our options open as far as dates for right now once we get closer we can pin down a date that will work for everyone

and go for it i talked to jerry bridgeman this weekend at coe and he said he is up for it but will only be an overnighter as he has to work sundays

i think a thru hike would be awesome!!

kevin

Kyle McMahon

@kcamcmahon

Locale: I live in Bakersfield Ca

sounds fun. Im in as long as I can get the time off.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I might be interested. I will be at ADZPCTKO but other than that I am free!

kevin smith

@divr6347

it looks like early to mid may is going to be the best so far

hopefully it won t be too hot out there yet

we will see glad you are going to try and make it kyle ill call you and keep you updated as we get closer
    looks like my wife is wanting to get in on this hike too so we will see
    kevin

kevin smith

@divr6347

ok guys it seems that april is a bad month for the sespe due to everyones scedule so
    tenatively how about we shoot for may 11-12-13 this will give everyone time to scedule and get the time off or what not and it should be good weatherat that time
    hopefully

everyone chime in and let me know as i need to put in for that friday off if we can nail down those dates

lets make it happen guys

kevin

kevin smith

@divr6347

looks like may 13 is mothers day so probably not a good date to be out hiking

im thinking lets push back one more week and scedule for may 18-19-20

i would like to set this as the official date but will not do this until i have heard from everyone as to if it works for them i think we will be safe weather wise

as worst case scenario we will end up soaking in the sespe if it gets too warm

let me know if that date looks ok for most of us and if so we will set that as the dates

my plan is to leave friday morning and hike in sometime mid day friday i don t know how far we will hike yet as im waiting to see what my wifes plan is but definatly hike in friday

post up if you can make it those dates and if so we can plan from there

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Hey Kevin,

I'm most likely out for the weekend of the 19th. There's an off chance my other plans will fall through and/or be finished early and I could hike out in the late afternoon/evening or just do a day hike out on Sunday to say hi.

Anyway, I'm just one person, so if it works for everyone else, then go for it and maybe I'll be able to join in somehow or I'll just catch you guys next time.

Cheers,

Nick

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

The way May is looking I may have to miss this one. My daughters dance performance, birthdays and momma's day all in May. Super bummed, this sounds like a good one. There is still the off channce that something will change or that I can at least run in and meet all of you guys there for at least one of the nights. I'll be lurking to see how this shapes up, keeping my fingers crossed.

kevin smith

@divr6347

after much debate and a lot of hassle over trying to work out a date that works for everyone

i have set the date for the sespe trip as may 18-19-20 the plan is to hike in friday and do a day hike saturday to oak flat and or willet if we decide to get some more miles in im planning to camp at bear camp again as my wife has decided to tag along with me which means the kids will probably be along also if i were hiking solo i would say lets go to willet but there is no way my crew would be up for it so i had to make a slight change in plans

anyone who wants to come join the fun please post up last years trip was a good one

kevin

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools