Topic

Needle and thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Needle and thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Hello everybody,

I would like some advice, I finally got a sewingmachine today, a cheap one, I am not even sure if I can tune the pressure of the lower thread, but that is okay.

I want to make a tent, using ripstop.

I understand that 'flat felled seams' always work, and straight stitching is efficient too. So I will stick to that. I also understand that polyester tread is wind-, water and timeproof.

My question is, what Size needle should I use? and what Size thread? (and what coulour?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Peter

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

In France, you can probably find the Rasant thread.
    Your sewing shop would probably have good advice about outdoor threads and needles to match.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Rasant 120 thread, black or dark blue (UV resistant), #60 needle.

Cheers

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Thank you for you input.

At least now I know what thread to use.

I'll stick with black.

If this project works out well I might put it on the web. In fact, I don' t want
    to make a new tent from scratch. I 'll start with a small 2 man dome.

So basically the idea is: A 2 pers. dome tent, cut the innertent in half, keep the fly as it it is and the result is a solid structure with a decent porch. Totally freestanding ( a must for me).

Thanks,

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Sounds interesting. So it will actually be a 1 man innter tent, but with a 2 man fly? Or did I misunderstand?

Do you have fabric already? I used a bit of this for a pack and it seems good.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Ripstop-Nylon-tent-fabric-silicone-coated-65-g-sqm-2nd-choice::1197.html

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Ripstop-Nylon-tent-fabric-silicone-coated-50-g-sqm-2nd-choice::1195.html

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Sam,

Here is a scetch I made; I think the one on the top is the one I will begin with because of its simplicity , ( I hope anyway it will be simple.)

http://renderarc.weebly.com/tent.html

The german site is very good indeed, there I also found a link to another project, similar to the tent I want to make:

http://www.flusslinie.de/

If you click on:
    "Behausung"
    "Zelt"

you will see a tent that I find very interesting. Unfortunately the site seems pretty quiet.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Check out the Hilleberg Unna.

"The solution was a simple rectangular plan with a dome and a sturdy 11 mm rod."
    A lighter pole will not be as sturdy, and the tent not so stable in the wind.

Pete Forest

@againpeter

The Unna, like the Coleman Nevada or the Jurek AT 1.5 are very similar tents in design.

And the concept appeals to me, the simple dome and the rather big entrance on the long side, making it comfortable to get in and out.

What I want is the porch integrated in the dome space, so basically any of the above tents, keep the fly as it is, but with the inner a 40 cm smaller.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Sincerely,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools