Topic

How to Keep Your Tent Forever

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to Keep Your Tent Forever

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kirby Kinkead

@opentrees

How To Keep Your Tent Forever

One in a Series of Five Camping Gear Care Articles

A tent is your home away from home, your second skin. The right care will keep it reliable, and keep you protected.

First, clean your tent:

Usually you can just shake your tent, but occasionally it will need cleaning.

NEVER PUT YOUR TENT IN THE WASHING MACHINE OR DRYER!

Here is what I do:

Step One: I shake my tent (inside out) to get rid of large debris. Then I wipe the outside of the tent floor with a damp cloth to remove ground in dirt, and vacuum the zippers with the brush attachment.

Step Two: I pitch my tent and clean the tent walls, inside and out, with Downe Soap (in any good sporting goods store). I sponge-rinse the tent TWICE to ensure all soap is gone. I never submerge it in water or rub waterproof coatings (like inside the tent floor and the underside of the rain fly).

Step Three: To remove sap from the tent, I scrape it with a non-serrated butter knife being careful not to cut the fabric. DO NOT USE SOLVENT. For gooey sap I use tissue and carefully pinch off the sap (don’t rub or it will smear). A small spot is ok. Eventually it will collect dust and won’t be sticky. If I need to pack the tent right away I stick tissue to the sap and remove it later. To remove the sap completely, I mix glycerin and water in equal parts and apply it to the sap, then let it sit. The sap should rub off the tent fabric easily. (If not, let it sit longer).

Step Four: A musty odor, and/or small cross-shaped spots on tent fabric indicate mildew formation. To get rid of mildew I mix 1-cup salt, 1-cup lemon juice (concentrated), and 1-gallon hot water. I rub the solution into all visible mildew. Then I pitch the tent with affected areas facing the sun and allow the tent to dry.

Second, maintain your tent:

Zipper sliders, the moving part of a zipper, wear from grit or sand, which causes failure over time. I use McNett’s Zip Care to lubricate my tent zipper to reduce wear. You can also use paraffin wax or bar of soap if you’re in a pinch. DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED LUBERICANTS.

If the sliders on my tent zippers start to fail, I squeeze the slider head (from front to back) firmly but gently with a pair of pliers.

Tent seams are not always waterproof. I seam seal them if I know I will be out in the heavy rain.

Third, store your tent properly:

I never put my tent away damp. Damp tents will mildew, smell, and eventually deteriorate. If you can’t pitch your tent outside to dry then use a guest room or a basement, just as long as the tent is dry before you pack it.

I pack my tent poles in old pillowcases or a canvas bag to prevent accidental punctures to tent fabric.

I pack my tent loosely. An oversized bag or cardboard box gives it breathing room. I don’t store my tent in a plastic bag or airtight container.

Proper care of your tent will make it last forever. I clean mine once a year after the camp season before long-term storage. You will be glad you did.

Kirby Kinkead is a camper, backpacker, and outdoor enthusiast. See his other gear tips at: http://www.opentrees.com/camping-tips-menu.htm or call (866) 270-3062. Contact him by email: [email protected].

Courtney Waal

@d0rqums

You could also lube the zipper with silicone spray lubricant. It’s sticky for a few runs of the zipper and then it’s smooooooooth. It’s also great for rubik’s cubes!

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

Good stuff.

Acting on a hunch last year I discovered that my Aloe Gator sunblock gel removed pine sap from silnylon like nobody’s business (probably contains glycerin and similar compounds).

By the way, paraffin wax is a petroleum based lubricant.

Kirby Kinkead

@opentrees

It should only be used if you are “in a pinch” (as stated) otherwise use a zipper lube.

Furthermore, it is sticky and will not drip on other parts of the tents waterproof membranes or on the nylon, as a spray or liquid would.

Thanks for the heads-up! It is good for people to know to use care when applying it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools