Topic

Sewing door zipper (any advice?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing door zipper (any advice?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

Well, my 2m steel ruler finally arrived and I'm ready to start cutting. I am making an asymetric trekking pole tent, here's a picture:

Trekking Pole Tent

I'm just wondering about dimensions on the pannel with the door zipper. It will be on one of the short triangles, just right of the trekking pole. I was intending to lay the zipper on the cut pannel a few inches to the side of the seam near the trekking pole and just sewing it on (prior to assembly!). I would then cut the fabric up the centre of the zip and hem it up the zip. This would leave a small raw edge at the top of the zip that I suppose I would just have to patch over. I have tried searching but cannot find much material on this tricky operation. Are there any insider secrets I should know about before I start cutting? Here's a picture of the head end, it shows where the zip will go more clearly. The inspiration for this design was from Steve Evans' All WET tarp.
    Head end.

Matt

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Hi Matt, what CAD software are you using for this? Looks neat

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Hi Rob,
    the program I use is called google sketch up. It is free from google and quite a few people on these forums use it. You just draw what you want and SU tells you the dimensions. Then you just add on seam allowances and make a pattern, or cut, or whatever. I think you can get dedicated fabric design software, but judging by some of the results on this forum, it would be overkill.
    Matt

David Wills

@willspower3

http://video.about.com/sewing/Zipper-Sewing.htm

Maybe this can help with general zipper sewing.

For the door, maybe you can use a scrap piece to make a tail at the top of the zipper like in the link below, except all the way to the top of your tent:

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/using_continuous_zipper.php

Don't worry if the zipper doesn't come out perfectly.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Matthew – a couple ways I have done it:
    1) make your cut, then at the top you cut a short 'Y shape so that yu have two short cuts at 45 degrees either way from your main cutline. Then when you sew in the zipper, having first determined the right amount to fold over and the right point on the ziper tape to line up with so that the exposed zipper equals the amount of fabric that is folded under (hope that makes sense), when you get to the top you'll have a little triangle that folds up instead of off to the side, and that finishes it off pretty well.
    2) Even better is to continue your cut to the top of the fabric panel, and from the top of the zipper to the edge of the fabric, you insert a narrow strip of fabric(same width as the zipper) with a hemmed bottom end that laps down over the top end of the zipper. That gives you a cleaner termination.

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Many thanks for the advice, some good tips there. As ever, once its explained it all seems quite simple and logical.
    Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools