Topic

Adult beverages for Winter Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Adult beverages for Winter Camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    MIKE ARCURI

@marcuri

Anyone know any good recipes for winter camping? I don't want to lug beer into the woods while camping so I was thinking of booze instead. Preferably something hot and easy to make that has enough alcohol to notice.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Grand marnier and hot water is delicious.
    Whiskey teas
    Rum and powdered cider
    Baileys is good in most everything

Saludos!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Any single barrel bourbon (Basil Hayden, Woodford Reserve, Bakers, Bookers, Bulliet, Eagle Rare, …..) straight

If you must mix I suggest a Crystal Light flavor (peach/mango, raspberry tea,etc) and water.

However I wouldn't recommend the Kentucky Breakfast I had a few weeks ago. Bacon infused bourbon with a fried bacon strip as a garnishment.

Brad

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

Years ago, in a pinch, I added Jim Beam to apple juice. It tasted a lot like apple cider. Heat and enjoy. The extra sugars can't hurt in winter.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

I typically put this in an empty disposable water bottle – looks like dirty water.

2/3 whisky
    1/3 honey

Shake well and give it a few minutes for the honey to disolve. I'm not a whisky drinker, but I love this stuff.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Hot chocolate a little on the rich side and 2 ounces of Amaretto(almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur).

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

+ 1 on the whiskey + honey. I like the Wild Turkey Honey Liquor- the honey's already in it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Funny story related to me once:

Group arrives at campsite and people starting unpacking pulks and setting up shelters.

The designated cook starts the stove to heat up some chili that had been prepared in advance, very thick chili and partially frozen so it needs some water added. Cook grabs the nearest water bottle and empties it into the chili pot. Short time later the following two remarks are uttered simultaneously … "This chili doesn't smell right!" and "Anyone seen that Peppermint Schnapps I brought?"

OK, I'm sure that is funnier in hindsight that it was at the time. I don't know about peppermint flavored chili tastes but I can tell you with certainty that clove flavored chili is Hideous! (another story that's funny only in hindsight).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I usually bring some Everclear 95% alcohol. Some lemon juice like one of those plastic "lemons" at the grocery store. A sugar cube or two.

One problem, I carry it in a re-used soda bottle just like my drinking water.

Once I accidentally used the alcohol to wash my glasses off – meant to use the drinking water. Really p***ed my off. I'm still mad about it.

Now I have a prominently marked bottle for alcohol.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Russian tea (crystal lite (or similar) orange, lemon, and ice tea with ground cloves and cinnamon) + grand marnier.
    Good cold too. Even good without the grand marnier.
    Can be made full flavored sugared or lighter sugar free.

Pretty much goes with us on every trip.
    Yum

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Makers Mark, nice and cold is the way to go!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Google 'Mummerys Blood'.
    Half dark rum, half Bovril, and lots of black pepper. Serve hot. Delicious.
    I don't know if you can get Bovril in the US? It's a beef extract drink.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Mike,

You're a bad, bad man. Bovril is disgusting at the best of times,and no way adding dark rum is making it any better. Don't tease the poor Seppos.

And this from a Scotchman. (Heh, heh, heh)

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

Bulleit Rye Whiskey straight

MIKE ARCURI

@marcuri

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. We still have over a week until we leave. I like the Jim and Apple Juice Idea!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Jack & ginger crystals, very warming and you don't know you're cultivating a hangover…

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I like making Apple Pie for a back country trip. 1/2 gallon apple juice, 1/2 gallon apple cider, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 cinnamon sticks. Heat to nearly boiling while stirring. Cool back down to room temp. Add 1/2 gallon of Everclear. Makes a rockin' drink! A little goes a long way!

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Black Bush Irish Whiskey and coffee. Nothing else needs to be added.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

While wearing the balaclava hood from my R1. Makes you feel like a ninja.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Hot tang and vodka. It's become a sort of tradition in our group, and somehow acquired the name "Voditang". It's more fun to say after you've consumed it.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

A little schnapps and cocoa.

Mmmmm. :)

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Shivering in a snowstorm late last May I was introduced to Whiskey and maple syrup with hot water. Basically the same as Benjamin Rakestraw's "Dirty Water" from above, but with maple syrup instead of honey. (Mixologist was Canadian). Good stuff. I'll have to try the honey variant.

I like Cointreau and Ibarra (hard Mexican chocolate)- very nice. (boil the Ibarra in water first to dissolve then add alcohol after cooling somewhat if you don't want to lose all the potency) Even better is a Colombian version of cacao with "Clavos and Canela"- cloves and cinnamon.

Ibarra, the similar Abuelita, and the Colombian versions are hard blocks composed of just cacao (unprocessed cocoa), sugar, and spices- no milk or other pollutants. Goes great with the orange flavor of Cointreau (or Gran Mariner). I've tried Tequila and Ibarra- not my favorite. Also hot chocolate mix (Carnation Rich Chocolate) with Cointreau but the dried milk and emulsifiers seemed to be out of place with the alchohol- not bad just not as good as the Latin American versions.

EDIT: Looking online to confirm ingredients I just came across "Taza Guajillo Chili Chocolate" It's organic cacao, Guajillo chili, and unrefined cane sugar. Reviews call it "smoky" from the Guajillo chilis. I'm thinking this would be good maybe with Tito's corn vodka.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The only Truly UL booze is everclear. 1/2 the weight of other hard liquors

It mixes great with tang and we named the drink spicy tang.

Ben F

@tekhna

Urban Outfitters of all places has a ultralight flask!
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18791426

They don't have it online anymore but they had lots at the store here. Can't weigh more than an ounce or something. 5 bucks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I've occasionally gotten a concentrated cranberry juice in a 12-ounce aluminum can stocked on the store shelves right next to all the other Ocean-Spray cranberry juice products. It pours like syrup and you'd want to repackage it. But pre-mixed with Everclear, that's dang light and better tasting than Tang IMO. Cut it with three parts water (40 proof or so) to drink.

Add and dilute any mixed drinks "to taste". Do multiple steps of small additions – cheap and basic ingredients taste pretty good when the sugar, alcohol and flavor are all balanced.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools