Topic

Over night Appalachian trail from harpers ferry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Over night Appalachian trail from harpers ferry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Does anybody know the logistic of hiking north from harpers ferry into maryland. Planning an over night trip but i need to know if i need a permit where is a good place to camp, etc.

Hiking in late march.

a b

@ice-axe

I just hiked the AT through there last year but it was late April when i passed through.
    Mile 0 Harpers Ferry (270' elev)
    Mile 6.4 Ed Garvey shelter (890' elev) has room for 10 hikers plus tent sites. The spring is 1/2 mile downhill.
    Mile 10.5 is the Crampton Gap shelter with intermittent spring (1,000 elev)
    Mile 15.5 are the Rocky Run shelters (970' elev) Spring at shelter
    Mile 17.3 is the Dahlgren Back Pack campground (990' elev) water, showers, picnic pavillion HWY 40A close by.

I only needed a permit for the Smokeys and Shenandoah's.
    You said an overnight trip so i limited the info to 17 miles northbound.
    I took the data from The Thru Hikers Handbook by Bob McCaw.
    If you need more let me know.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

No permit required. Once you get up on top of South Mountain it is flat. Water at Ed Garvey Shelter, though further than you might want to go for it, is a good source. Gathland Sate Park has a spigot, as does the Washington Monument. The trail goes right by both of them. I've never treated water in MD at any source with no illness afterward. Just don't lay down in the state parks for the night and you're good to go. Everything is very clearly marked. "No camping here" or "no camping for the next X miles". Easy. Make sure to let us know how it goes with a trip report.

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Just out if curiosity are there any places to camp between harpers and the ed shelter?

Thanks guys! I will update :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools