Topic

Whoopie Sling Mistake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Whoopie Sling Mistake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I would normally look for this answer over at hammockforums, but I would really like to go ahead and solve this problem and hammock forums is down.

I made some whoopie slings this morning out of zing-it, and on one of them, I accidentally pulled the loop too tight. This caused me to lose the loop into the bury.

I can't seem to milk it backwards. Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this problem?

I'm thinking about pulling it all the way through and trying to fix the twist this would cause by splicing it again in the opposite direction. I've no idea if this would actually work though.

I appreciate the help.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Pulling it through may be the most time efficient. If your line is wide enough you may be able to shove a thin wire (or better yet a sanded street sweeper bristle, those long flat pieces of spring steel you see on the side of the road often) down the cord and catch the loop and slowly work it out that way, but depending how far the loop has retracted this could be a huge pain.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Chris,

I wouldn't use Zing-it to hold a person, unless I'm missing something. Love my Whoopies (Dynaglide and Amsteel).

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

After doing a bit more research, I think you are right about the zing-it.

I went ahead and used the zing-it because I already had 30ft of it laying around the house and had no other use for it really. I think I will still play with it to see if I can fix it, just to know how, but I will go ahead and work on getting some other cord as well. Thanks for that catch.

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Agree on pulling it through… And zing-it is great for sub ~200lb ridgelines, but i wouldn't use it for suspension.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

The pros put a bead on there, to prevent pull through. Copy their good ideas.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools