Topic

JMT reasonable time needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT reasonable time needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

To help the others, here is what I had already done this week. I applied by the online fax form, which is easy to fill in on your computer, print it off and fax it in, I used efax.com on my computer, not having a fax machine. For the weekend of 28 & 29 July I sent two applications on Friday at 1701 PCT, but they won't be looked at until Monday anyway. On Sunday night I sent in one for Monday 30. Each one was for HI thru, HI-LYV, and Glacier Point-LYV. I could start at any time of day or night, and could camp anywhere.

On Monday I tried phoning – answer phone before 0830 PCT, engaged after. I dialled 150 times with no answer, must be off the hook, and then my first refusal came by email, shortly followed by the next two. I had tried emailing too, but got a terse reply to that, and they also don't like any cover page on the fax. On a Monday morning they must have three day's worth to sort thro', so whatever makes it easier for them can only help us.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I apologise for going off thread here, but I know you guys are watching! Last year I did the JMT in 13 days with Half Dome, and this year I want to do more peaks and side trails too. Which peaks would be worthwhile? I don't want to climb any old slag heap, must have decent views, good rock and not too far off trail. Mt Ritter really appeals, but would that "go" in running shoes and no ice axe?

John Muir got stuck spread eagled here, and I don't think my luck would be as good as his! Come to think of it, he didn't need a permit either…

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Black Giant, Split Mtn., Painted Lady, Tawny Point are all climbable/hikeable with no technical gear, if conditions are right, ie; low snow year, ect.

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

I got an email saying I got a permit for 7/31, starting in Happy Isles, Sunrise/Merced Lake the Pass through, I don't even have to stop at LYV. It's going to be a good hike.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Totally reasonable. I worked my bum off but did it in 12 days. I wish I had a bit more but ran out of (work allowed) time. 17 miles a day was my average, which included some rough trail finding hours a time or two (mostly me being an idiot).

My recommendation is to try it. By that I mean plan a trip that's two nights where you hike your desired mileage (maybe build in an extra 2 miles to account for terrain/altitude if needed). My practice hikes were 20 mile days (although at low altitude, relatively flat) and that helped me get a handle on what 20 miles feels like, which I think is the essence of your question (that you're not sure you can multi-day those lengths).

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Get in line at Yosemite Valley permit office at 4:00 AM or so and you should have no problem getting a spot for the next day. They may also put you on a wait list for same day no-show permits which they release late morning.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools