Topic

Shelter Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Shelter Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I am looking for a 2 person shelter for the JMT this summer, and having some difficulty. The Golite shangri-la 2 was a great fit when it was on sale, but when i tried to buy one they were sold out. I am trying to find a 2 person shelter, weighs no more than 30oz, provides a little more coverage than a standard tarp, and the price is no higher than $150. Can you guys PLEASE help me?!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

While I contemplate, a few questions:

Do you want a enclosed tarp that pitches to the ground, like the SL-2?

Did you want a tarp with a matching inner net, like the SL-2?

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

I would like a tarp that pitches somewhat close to the ground like the SL-2, and no I do not care about an inner net. What do you think about the Trailstar? Is it good for 2 people +gear?

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Yeah, either the Trailstar or a DuoMid. Possibly the SpeedMid also.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Ya the duomid is pushing my price range, as well as the Trailstar, just not as far. I have been reading a ton of reviews on shipping waits for MLD. I've heard some taking 6 weeks (as expected) and others taking up to 12 weeks. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I just ordered from MLD and asked Ron if it was taking 8 weeks for a tarp and Serenity shelter and he said it was around 6 weeks.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Awesome Paul thank you SO much for your help!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There is a wait for MLD… but it is worth it provided you get your item in time and have the money. Ron is great, if there is a specific date you need something by, tell him and ask if that can be accommodated or not.

The $150 price point eliminates a fair number of options unless you go used / on sale. I don't know if they are still actively selling, but appytrails was selling a shaped tarp that was around $100. You might also want to think about bring a flat tarp that is sufficiently large for your needs. In good weather don't bother pitching or pitching open… do something more locked down if they weather is surprisingly bad.

I will note that the JMT, especially mid-summer, tends to have some of the mildest weather you might experience in alpine locations. It CAN storm, but typically not. More typical is dry except for condensation, with maybe a light, short lived rain in the late afternoon once you get on the east side. During the summer I tend to worry about the bugs more than rain. Some trips have been fairly bug free, but get there when the mosquitos are breeding in the snow melt and look out. The moment you stop moving, 100s (I have counted) can appear in less than a minute. If *I* was going to purchase a shelter just for the JMT and was trying to keep cost down (but exceed your $150 limit), I would go with the tarptent squall2.

–Mark

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

I was actually thinking about the squall before any other shelter. I have hear about the bugs, but I have also been told that by mid summer they are gone, and hopefully there won't be as much snow as last year. Would you agree?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The snows so far have been super light, the bug pressure *should* be light by mid-summer on the JMT. A few years ago I was able to cowboy camp all but one night…. but I am a bit paranoid and brought a shelter with netting. Several years earlier I did several trips with a tarp, quilt, clothing, and headnet as my only bug protection. Several very uncomfortable trips because the bug pressure was VERY heavy. Since then, if there is a chance there will be heavy bugs I find myself choosing a shelter with integrated bug netting.

–Mark

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Awesome thanks for your advice that really helps, I'll talk to my friend and see what she says

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

Look at Bear Paw Designs (bearpawwd.com). They have many great silnylon shelters for around $120 and many cuben shelters for $190 or more. I have not ordered from them but have heard he is great to work with. He will do custom work too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools