Topic

Handleless Titanium Pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Handleless Titanium Pots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I know this should be easy to find, but I am having problems finding handless titanium pots like the firelite that BPLstore used to sell. Anything like this out there?

Firelite 1100

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

this is almost embarrassing … titi handles actually will come off if you want them to.
    use your dremel tool with the narrow slicing wheels to grind away the spot welds.

if thee dost not own a dremel tool (a situation not hardly comprehendible), ask around and anybody who builds radio control models will without a doubt have one (or more).

work careful and slowly, and the welds will go away in a sparkle of tiny sparks. wear eye protection from the titanium sparks and exploding wheels.

file the area to final smoothness and handle-less nirvana will be yours.

it's child's play.

cheers,
    peter v.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Thank you Peter, yes this is my plan b. Knowing how (not)gentle I am when it comes to removing things, I was hoping that there was maybe another company out there manufacturing handleless. :)

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Just a curiosity, but why the handle hate?

I can't imagine that a pot holder weight less than fold out ti wire handles, unless you are just using a bandana or gloves to pick up the pot.

BM

j lan

@justaddfuel

The wire bail handles tend to get really hot cooking over a fire, so no real help there and if i am boiling water in it, it is cool enough at the top to handle with just a bandana or nothing at all. Less weight, less things to snag in my pack, I also have to admit, I think handleless pots are more aesthetically pleasing. Spending over $60 for a tiny pot is a fetish in and of itself when a $4 imusa mug works just dandy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The wire bail handles tend to get really hot cooking over a fire"

If you wrap a tiny scrap of aluminum foil (maybe 1"x2") tightly around each wire, they won't get hot from the fire.

–B.G.–

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

I also have this problem and appreciate the quest for a handless pot. I am often cooking with my titanium pot directly on a fire. Although the tiny titanium handles do get hot, initially it is the straight heat of the fire that is the danger. As the pot handle is at the side of the pot, not the top, you basically have to reach into the fire, with a tiny little piece of a bandana or something as an oven mit, picking this hot little ember of a titanium pot out, squeezing a finger or two into the tiny opening of the pot handle to hold the weight of the thing, shielded by an insufficient scrap of polyester. Then with a tentative grip on the tiny handle, distribute the 500-700ml of boiling hot water where it is needed. It is at this point that the heat of the handle itself becomes an issue, and as always, the piece of polyster/glove/t-shirt that I am using as an oven mit proves itself unworthy of the task. I have never used a third party aluminum/titanium pot gripper device, but every time I go through that silly dance I find myself fantasizing about using them…. if fantasizing is the right word… yes, I think it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools