Topic

bear bag weight holder (not the food bag)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) bear bag weight holder (not the food bag)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

What do you use as a weight to toss your bear bag rope up and over the branch? I know the lightest thing you can use is to tie a rock or branch or something to the end of your rope. I have read in several threads recently where people carry a small stuff sack or something to put the rock into so you don't have to try and tie rope to a round rock.

I used to bring that myself, a .7 oz stuff sack from Wal-Mart (the small blue waterproof one that comes in the pack of 3). On a recent trip it got caught in the branches on a missed throw and in pulling it down I tore the buckle part off. It was the rolled top and buckle that caused it to get caught.

So I got to thinking and last night I took a scrap piece of 1.1 oz nylon and made what amounts to a small stuff sack without a draw cord. Instead I just folded it over and hemmed it repeating 3 times so that it has kid of a thick hem at the top. My idea is to put a small rock or rocks, hand full of dirt, whatever in there, bunch up the extra fabric and tie my rope onto the bunched up fabric.

bear bag rock holder

Several advantages here I think…smaller, lighter (does not register on my scale so .25 oz maybe?), less to get hung up, practically free (scrap), and if it breaks I am not out a waterproof bag.

What do you use for this purpose?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In the old days, we used to use simple parachute cord tied around a rock.

Each time that the rock falls to the ground, it stands a chance of hitting another rock on the ground. As a result, the last six inches of the cord gets chewed up a bit.

However, I haven't bear bagged in over ten years now, so my technique is rusty.

–B.G.–

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I like your small bag idea. I have been meaning to make one but haven't gotten around to it so I'm still throwing the rock or stick.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

I use the smallest cuben fiber stuff sack from Zpacks. I removed the drawstring and fished the bear bag line through the stuff sack and tied it off to itself. Just stick a rock in it, cinch it up, and fling it over a branch. You can also use dirt or sand in the bag instead of a rock for a softer landing. I originally used a silnylon bag and it shredded after a season. So far the cuben is holding up.

John Gelack

@jgelack

Locale: North East

I've also been using a small Sil nylon sack, that just got shredded after about a year of use. I just ordered a ZPacks Cuben rock sack made out of the heavier weight cuben, so I'm hoping that this will last longer.

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

I have a throw bag that size and I put 1 or 2 cliff bars in it. I used to use rocks but they put holes in my bag.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Lee,

Thanks for the idea of the Cliff Bar weights.

I've often thought about what I might be carrying that could be used as a throw weight. Until your post I had never even considered the obvious thing…..the food itself.

Daryl

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools