Topic

what’s wrong with vargo titanium nail stake?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what’s wrong with vargo titanium nail stake?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frank Ramos

@frprovis

I noticed this item is on BPL closeout. This is the thick nail stake, about 5mm wide and weighing about 15grams each, not the 3mm wide and 8 gram orange-colored nail stakes. I carry one of these heavy-duty nail stakes for making holes in really hard ground (it even breaks right through buried limestone), and I was wondering why BPL decided to discontinue this item. I can't believe the 8gram stake is an acceptable substitute, at least not for the sort of hard-packed ground I routinely find myself confronted with. I did a search for comments explaining what's wrong with these nail stakes and didn't find anything. Nor can I think of why these nail stakes met the criteria for closeouts. Is there something I'm missing here?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

They probably aren't selling well enough to justify keeping them around. For me personally, price is a huge factor in whether or not I buy a product. At $12 for 3 stakes, each stake is $4. I can get Easton stakes for $2 a piece and they should be more than sturdy enough for the type of ground I will be encountering.
    I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Ti nail stakes, they probably just aren't in high enough demand here.

Adam

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Frank,

I don't know the reason they're being dropped, but I'll speculate it was either because Vargo is discontinuing them or that old retailer's bugaboo, they didn't sell well. There's also the possibility that the Easton stakes work better.

My impression from folks like yourself is they do work quite well (I didn't know they triumphed over limestone before your post, though :-)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Easton (tubular aluminum) stakes will have more holding power due to their larger diameter – especially the long 9 inch gold ones (great for higher tension lines such as front and rear ridge pole guylines). The shorter 5 inch blue model is great for perimeter guylines.

Titanium nails will have much greater penetrating power and structural strength. I've never been able to bend them, even when they hit solid granite (they just stop).

I always carry 2 titanium nails in addition to my regular stakes for those times when I must drive a pilot hole in very hard or rocky ground. On rare occasion, I have used them in lieu of regular stakes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

VARGO OUTDOORS isn’t discontinuing the Titanium Nail Stake (6 inches 0.5 oz) although they have come out with a lighter version called the Titanium Nail Stake-Ultralight (6 inches 0.3 oz) for the same price.

nail

Regards

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

This even skinnier model of the Ti Nail can't possibly hold better than the previous one; and if it weighs more than others of the same length that are available, I think they'll also be a hard sell IMO.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I just ordered some of these (the older heavier model, probly out of empathy or) out of fear they would no longer be available, because — just learning about tarps and poncho tarp shelters the stakes are critical. Our soil is rocky, volcanic, full of downed wood at best, and at worst purely volcanic. Thus, the stakes are important. Giving up a self-standing tent means being sure of the skill and ability to place stakes or suffer the very uncomfortable, miserable consequences. So, the idea that these can pierce a hole in the ground all of a sudden lit my bulb and they are now confirmed as ordered and gonna be sent courtesy the BPL Gear Shop. b.d.

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Locale: Minnesowtah

I ordered some as well. I have a bunch of light titanium shepards-hood style that came with a couple of Easton pegs that I got from Gossamer Gear. I have some more Easton pegs that came with my Rainshadow. I thought these would make a good addition to my stake quiver. On option for that time when we know we're going to a place where the round is rocky.

Steve

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Just a few days after I mentioned to the illustrious Henry Shires how useless my titanium nail stakes were , one of my mates managed to bend one of the Easton pegs on concrete like sand (more like sandstone) , so we proceeded to make a hole first with one of the maligned nail stakes and then bang in the Easton. So I second Bob's comments, and from me, take at least one of them on every trip.
    Franco

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Totally agree with the previous posts. I always carry one to blaze the way for my lighter stakes when necessary. It is also the handle to my toothbrush. I hope Vargo doesn't stop making them.

david chan

@davidc-1

I agree with Franco and Eric. Titanium nail stakes make sense when you carry one to make holes in hard ground for other, lighter stakes. They are too heavy to carry a whole set of them.

So why are they not sold singly?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools