Topic

Backpack Frames in the UK? + Known UK Sources List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Backpack Frames in the UK? + Known UK Sources List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've been looking around for somewhere to buy an internal frame, like the pack stay that Gossamer Gear sell. Not found anything this side of the Atlantic yet though. For my own edification as much as anyone elses, here is the list of suppliers I have found over here (I forget them otherwise and have to find them all over again!).

fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk – sell some ripstop, some pertex-ish stuff etc

ukhammocks.co.uk – sells down! 100g of 850+ Down (900+ US fill) for £25

mountaineering-designs.co.uk – also sells down! Not on their site but if you call them, I was offered 750+ fill (850+ US fill) 96/4 down for £20 per 100g. (Can't guarantee this will be offered to everyone I guess).

extremtextil.de – well known, delivered stuff to me quickly, sell loads of great stuff.

shelby.fi – not used yet, seem good.

profabrics.co.uk – sell some good stuff, site is a bit painful to use. Slow delivery.

pennineoutdoor.co.uk – sell some good stuff, faster standard delivery. Not very helpful in regard to queries about if they could stock other things or if they knew who did.

That's it I think. If anyone has any ideas about a pack stay that would be really helpful. Anyway here's a picture of the small pack I finished last night.

pack

It's a small daypack type thing I made just to get a bit more practice before I start using the nice X-Pac, Laminated Nylon and Cuben that extremtextil have kindly sent me!

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Any ideas on the frame anyone?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Maybe look at an archery supplier, Sam?
    Carbon arrow shafts could be modded to suit?

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Daryl Clark, a member here, has posted his frame design.

It works, at least for me. I've successfully made a pack using his design, and it carries thirty pounds fairly comfortably (the issues I had with it are not due to the frame, but rather due to my underdesigned hip belt).

Hope it helps!

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Thanks guys. I was considering carbon but that link is very useful. I might try bamboo first as it's cheaper. If it gets made I'll post it up!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools