Topic

Prescription sunglasses w/ changeable lenses?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Prescription sunglasses w/ changeable lenses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Looking at sport style/wrap around and I've only found Oakley and Rudy Project so far. I'm liking the idea of having 2 sets of lenses instead of a pair of eye glasses and sunglasses, especially with a system like the Oakley Jawbone/Split Jacket. Len wise I'm thinking polarized and clear. Anyone have any that they like or other recommendations?

Edit: Typos.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Performance Bike Shops have a line of shield-style sunglasses that are prescription-compatible. The prescription lenses are in a frame behind the shield, which you can switch around.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Are you switching out the front lenses or rear? Do they have enough wrap around for snow?

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

Transition lenses may be an option for you. They aren't perfect, but they work pretty good. You can look into the Liberty Sport frames for some other options.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

i4ulenses.com for reading glasses that are very light, if that is all you need prescription glasses for.

Steve

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

I need my glasses for sight. Pretty much blind without them. I thought about Transition lenses, but read in the other thread that it doesn't work well with a hat. I had a pair of previous glasses with Transitions and didn't like you had to be pretty much staring at the sun for it to change. I'll check out the Liberty frames.

Anyone have any experience with Oakley prescriptions?

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Check out something like the Revision Sawfly. It's made for the US Military. They have exchangeable lenses (sunglasses, clear, yellow tinted, etc), and a removeable prescription insert. They're wraparound, comfortable for different head sizes, light, and very durable. You should be able to find lots of similar things in the shooting/tactical gear/military/LE community.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a pair of Rudy Projects with the Rx insert. I have a set of polarized lenses and a set of clear. I really like the design and use them for hiking, biking, running and skiing. I picked mine up on Ebay and saved a lot of money then had my optical shop but in the Rx lenses into the insert.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

If I buy a pair of sunglasses on the web, can any optical shop cut the lenses for it? My prescription is about a -5.25, and it seems like Oakleys only go up to -3.00, and Rudys up to -4.00. Anyone know of any companies that can do around -5.00 without inserts?

Hoping I don't have to resort to 2 pairs of glasses and inserts, but it's looking that way.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I bought a pair of Versaliner (a more stylish version of Cocoons) fit-over sunglasses and really like them. Polarized, uva/uba blocking, wrap arounds with a top shield. They're almost as effective as glacier glasses in blocking out top/side/bottom light. The copper lens is very good in deep forest coverage; that is, things remain well lit and cheery, not dark. YMMV. Get them fitted right! Put them on in the morning, take them off at sunset; done and done.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

My glasses are too big even for the L/XL Cocoons (off by a couple millimeters), couldn't find the Versaliners. Hm, maybe I'll just take the plunge with contacts.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

I recently ordered some rx Trace smith optics from their website. You twist the temple and the lenses looses up but since its a rx order you only get one set of lenses. You would have to order extra rx lenses or have some clear ones made locally. I've really enjoyed them. They have great coverage. Hope this helps

Oh btw ive had zealoptics before but I was unable to order from their website this year and I don't have a local vender so went with Smith. Still no local vender but was able to order from their website. You might want to checkout both of their sites to get an idea but with the interlock feature of the smiths (simple twist) it makes it easy to change lenses.

Christopher Chandra

@dotsnotfeathers

I've been using a wrap around with an rx insert, while it works I'm not a big fan of it. Its annoying that sweat/dirt etc gets on the insert and also the lens and the system weights a bit more.

I'm in the same boat as you prescription wise, and now that its a new year and I can get a new pair of glasses I'm close to pulling the trigger on Rudy Project Horus, they seem to be able to do up to our limits without an insert you should check that one out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools