Topic

Good backpacking mid July?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Good backpacking mid July?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bailey

@mbailey729

Locale: Southeast

Some buddies and I are planning on driving out west (from Atlanta) to backpack for a week. We are looking to go somewhere in Wyoming, Colorado or southern Montana. We would like to keep the trip 30 miles or less. Any recommendations would be great

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For those 3 states I would hang a map on the wall, throw a dart at it, and you can probably find a nice loop that way based on where the dart sticks. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I can't recommend anything better than Wyoming's Wind River Range. Do note that in the Rockies most years, mid-July is the height of mosquito season (on the positive side, it is often the height of wildflower season). It also can freeze at night, or even snow. Be prepared!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might want to mention how you feel about grizzly bears.

If you hate bears, there are some places that you need to avoid. If you love bears, there are other places that you need to check out.

–B.G.–

Michael Bailey

@mbailey729

Ive only seen a few black bears from a distance, but bears are not a problem or deterrent.

As I stated earlier, we will be driving so we can hike for 2-3 days, pick up and hike somewhere else. Thanks again

Michael Bailey

@mbailey729

Bump for todays crowd

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

I'd recommend the Four Pass Loop near Aspen. It's 26 mile loop that crosses four high passes and puts you near a bunch of 14,000+ foot peaks (Maroon, N. Maroon, Snowmass, Pyramid). Trails Illustrated 128 (Maroon Bells) covers the whole loop. If possible, go during the week to avoid (some of) the crowds. This has been a low snow year so far in CO so the passes might be snow-free in mid-July but it wouldn't hurt to bring an ice axe and know how to use it.

[Edit: Drink beers at Aspen Brewing Company after the trip.]

Joseph Regallis

@backpackandgear

For Wyoming, I recommend the Grand Teton National Park with Yellowstone just next door! I hiked between the mountains and saw waterfalls after taking a boat ride across the lake. Find out more below. Joe from Backpack and Gear

http://www.backpack-and-gear.com/grand-teton-national-park.html

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Driving that far for only a week on the trail is a pretty steep price, but it's your time.

Only 30 miles in a week is also quite low. You plan on fishing a lot?

Anyway, I agree there's good stuff just about anywhere in those 3 states. If you were to do the 4 Pass Loop near Aspen, I'd strongly encourage flying into Aspen (view my trip report.) I prefer the Wind Rivers myself, but that or Tetons will be a lot longer on the road instead of the trail. I'm not relishing the drive there from IN when I get to go back unless I can find a partner to pick me up at an airport as I did last time.

Michael Bailey

@mbailey729

Its me and 3 other buddies, so the price of gas (~$650 total) will be much less than flying into Aspen ($400/person). We will alternate driving and sleeping and can be in Aspen in under 30 hrs.
    As for distance, its a vacation so we are in no hurry to finish a 30mi loop in 2 days.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

If I had a choice I would go to the Wind Rivers. But, in order to save some time and gas, I just did a trip to the Holy Cross Wilderness just south of Vail. I did about 30 miles in 3 days. I could have easily stretched it to 5 days and spent more time fishing exploring. Here is a link to some trip photos.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55157&skip_to_post=468434#468434

If you would like to hear some more details shoot me a PM.

Ben

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools