Topic

Climashield actual weight ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Climashield actual weight ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Built a quilt a while back with climashield XP 2.5 oz.
    The insulation weight was very close to correct.

Jump to now and I order some 5oz apex from thru hiker and the actual weight is 4.56 oz per SY. Wondering how that will affect its warmth since I was counting on a full 5 oz ??

Bought some 3.3 oz apex from OWF and it came in at almost 3.6 oz per yard.
    Is it possible I am getting something other than Apex or is this just the nature of climashield ??

Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've got Apex, One, and Sport and they have similar variability from nominal.

owfinc.com specs it, for example, 1/2 to 1 inch loft. They said it varies from place to place on the batt, and from batch to batch.

I think if you got 4.45 oz instead of the nominal 5 oz, it will be proportionally less warm.

On the other hand, it would be difficult for you to tell the difference between two garments – 4.45 and 5 oz.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools