Topic

Quilt with integrated hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt with integrated hood

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Wright

@abhiker

Locale: ...

I am interested in finding a down quilt with a footbox and integrated hood. No zippers. Can anybody tell me if there is a such a product on the market.

Thanks

Jeff

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Theremarest makes/made one called the haven I believe

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

what do you mean by "quilt" ?
    I usually take that to mean something that is NOT closed in the bottom and under the neck and thus isnt really conducive of connecting a permanent hood….
    if you mean a TOPBAG – (bag with no down on bottom but instead just fabric – then you indeed have the TAR Haven and i think the WM POD (which i believe isnt mfg anymore) and Rab top bag, and nunatak tobag and probabaly a few more that i forgot

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

A quilt with a hood will basically be a sleeping bag with no bottom, but I cant see how that would work.

AFAIK nobody makes one exactly like that except maybe as mentioned above.
    Big Agnes makes bags that have a sleeve in the bottom for a pad, IE no insul in the bottom.

Most people either go quilt with a hood just for the head (which could also be used when not sleeping) or they use a bag.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO
    Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

I am thinking about building a MYOG quilt with a hood. I am usually sleeping on my side and when I sleep with a sleeping bag I basically have it "upside down" and have the hood draped over my head/neck/shoulders like a blanket over the top of my head. I have never been able to sleep with a mummy bag in the "normal configuration" tightening it around your head, laying face up. So, when I say MYOG quilt with a hood.. I mean, more of a flap.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I'm usually a side/stomach sleeper, so I made a quilt similar to what you're describing. It basically worked, but I've since found that I prefer either separate headwear with a regular quilt, or a traditional sleeping bag for colder weather.

Give it a shot though, you might like it, and if not you can always cut off the extra flap and have a regular quilt.

Diana Nevins
    BPL Member

@artemis

Locale: Great Plains

Jacks R Better quilts have an optional hood which attaches directly onto the quilt using a Velcro-like tape system instead of a zipper. Perhaps that system would work for you?

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway
    Jeff Wright

@abhiker

Locale: ...

Still not quite what I am envisioning.

I would like something that can be opened up when I am too hot. I seem to put out a lot of BTUs when I first go to bed and spend more time than I like trying to adjust the mummy bag… opening the zipper until one arm is too cold, using it on top of me with the zipper open like a quilt fighting the hood to keeping it out of my face. As the night goes on and in the early morning I really appreciate the full mummy bag configuration with the hood.

I know there are top bags out there but they look like they do not allow for much adjustability in terms of girth of the bag. I am envisioning something that can be opened up wider around the torso to calve region yet tucked in under oneself to minimize airspace.

I know there are separate hoods out there that can be made to work with a standard quilt but I have the idea that I would like to keep it simple. One less extra piece of gear. No messing around trying to seal a gap between the quilt and the hood piece.

I want a hood that extends down to mid shoulder blade level in the back, a short foot box and wing-like panels in between that could be tucked underneath or sprawled out depending on temperature.

Does such a beast not exist?

Jeff

Patrick P
    Spectator

@obiecamper

Did you look at the ZenBivy?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Zenbivy only started  in 2017 and this thread is from 2012 so I doubt he tried it back then, BPL member MICHAEL GLAVIN started the company, he was the former Brand Manager for Sierra Designs

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Z-packs down hood…don’t leave home without it!

I like how a separate hood turns with you as you move around during a night of sleep. Bags with mummy hoods never worked for me (I am a side sleeper, and a restless one at that!)

It is super warm, light, takes essentially no room in my pack. One of the best gear pieces I have in terms of warmth-to-weight ratio.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools